Home Group

Reaction score
I recently bought an HP desktop and I've been trying to link it with this Toshiba laptop, Both have Win 7 and are up-to-date. The HP doesn't recognize the PC! I opened Devices and Printers and discovered a yellow warning ! for the laptop. Ran the troubleshooter that said I had missing drivers, but it couldn't find any. I discovered a couple of "unknown" devices under "Other" in the System array. I uninstalled them (there were two) with no effect. I checked my update settings and they're automatic. I looked for, IIRC, "hidden" updates and there were none.

So, why won't my desktop recognize my laptop (it identifies it, but I can't access any files). :dontknow:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Are both computers joined to the Homegroup with the HG password?

Have you allowed the files in question to be shared?

Have you tried creating the normal type of MS home network?

Reaction score
Yes to all, though I'm unsure what a "normal" MS home group is. It's two computers, both with Home Premium. I just want to be able to do my "work" when I'm at either.

These damned computers are a regular PITA!

Reaction score
In the network and sharing center; have you shared any files and folders? Have you turned on network discovery on both computers? Have you ran the homegroup trouble shooter? In network and sharing center click "choose homegroup and sharing options, then click change advance sharing settings. Scroll through all options and set accordingly but make sure you turn on network discovery.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It should not be neccessary to use the home group options to network the computers.
I suggest you have another look in the Toshiba and make sure, again, that you have shared the particular things ( or the whole hard disk) needed.

Reaction score
Let's try this again. My computers can't see each other. I followed the instructions in the link above and still had the same result. If I open the Home Group and try to open the other computer, it works (as in working), then nothing. If I open Network and try to access the other computer, I get the dialog window below. I can open the media files, but since I don't work with a lot of "media" that doesn't really help.I have a cable to a Belkin router, then out to my desktop. The laptop in the other room has wireless access.

Network discovery is on, homegroup is shared read/write and everything is checked for sharing. What's the deal here?

Attachments

Reaction score
Tech help

I'm thinkin' next month I might get a tech in the house to set these machines up. My friend bugged on me, so I'll need to get some outside assistance to sync these babies up.

Y really thing I'm missing something basic on this Home Group thing, but damned if I can find it

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hey Magoo, Happy Holidays to you.

Tell me what exactly you want to accomplish. Tell me about your network.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally all the issues these people have w/ homegroups (plus since they don't exist on machines with older OSes), I don't know why anyone would use them. Just disable homegroups and use regular network file sharing.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I think he is still referring to his issue HERE.

Personally all the issues these people have w/ homegroups (plus since they don't exist on machines with older OSes), I don't know why anyone would use them. Just disable homegroups and use regular network file sharing.
Okay . thanks for the update.

Homegroups are for W7 machines only!!!

You Must Use workgroup for networking W7 and any older Windows OS.

Edit: There are those that will disagree with me but I'm trying to appease the masses here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Both my machines are Win 7 Home Premium, both 64-bit. Is there a picture or pictures that I might put up that you guys could figure out?

Reaction score
Hi mr.magoo

All I know is that you must create a Homegroup on one of the computers. Then from the second computer you connect to the Homegroup that was created. When the Homegoup is created there is a passkey given that will be needed for all other computers to connect with the Homegroup.

Reaction score
Would changing this setting help any?

There is a setting to enable password protection on the PC. By default this option is enabled. With this option enabled only people with a Username and password are allowed access to the PC. This goes without saying even those without passwords are also blocked from accessing the PC.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Network and Sharing Center >> Advanced sharing settings

Reaction score
I already set 'em up for no password protection. While checking on it, though, I figured I'd switch it from Windows settings to user's settings, but that didn't make a difference either.

Ask a Question