Help with BSOD analysis please

Reaction score
Hi Gurus,

I've been getting ever frequent BSODs and it is getting to me. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to what is wrong with my windows?

I've gotten advice from another forum but would like to see what you guys think is wrong as well.

Thanks again.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Every crash has been a 0x1a stop error involving memory management.

Code:
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {41790, fffffa8000d58550, ffff, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+33946 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
I could definitely help you further, but I will stop for now after the following advice...

Please uninstall your Eastune AND Energy Saver (either or both if you have both) and then go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers to manually delete gdrv.sys.

Code:
 gdrv     gdrv.sys     Thu Mar 12 23:22:29 2009
Reboot and things should probably be well. Good luck and please post a new crash dump if one happens, after doing this.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
HA! I sent jpwwong a pm just after he'd posted his plea for help.

I told him to be patient, a friend of ours called TorrentG from across The Pond would be along later as soon as the Time Portals connected.

Russell Grant's got nowt on me!!

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I'll do as advised when i get home later on today.

Just out curiosity, could me fiddling around with a registry cleaner be the cause of such frequent crashes? I use CCleaner and do a registry clean every 2 wks?

Thanks.

Reaction score
You're welcome. No, CCleaner does not cause any harm at all and is actually good to use. BSOD definitely not from CCleaner. I think it's because of the gdrv.sys driver. If you rid of that in the manner I described, I'm hoping/guessing you'll be well off.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
jpwwong, Some poorly written registry cleaners CAN damage the registry but CCleaner is used by almost every active user here and is highly recommended.

Reaction score
I've deleted Easytune but I could not find the gdrv.sys in the drivers file - maybe it got deleted after i uninstalled easytune and energy saver?

Hung again, and its been 5 times today :(

Latest minidump file attached.

Attachments

Reaction score
Please uninstall MagicDisc to get rid of this old driver:

Code:
mcdbus   mcdbus.sys   Tue Feb 24 05:34:07 2009
I recommend using PowerIso for drive emulation. It doesn't crash systems ever, while others do.

You can also update your Realtek HD audio driver from the following link:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

If after doing these two things you still have bsod, please post it again. But then I'll show you how to run Driver Verifier, which may pinpoint the actual driver causing issues.

As of right now, probably mcdbus.sys is the cause. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Reaction score
Just to let you know its stopped BSOD for the moment after I took away magicISO and updated realtek.

I ran a driver check and apparently one of my drivers is out of date - IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Standard IDE Dual channel PCI IDE Controller.

Should I update this? I could not locate this driver on Gigabyte's website.

Also, have you heard of 3rd party security like Norton and Kaspersky giving W7 users BSOD issues? I am using windows firewall now after been advised to remove all NIS and KIS programs due to them causing issues. I am just curious because I would prefer to have a 3rd party program than something that's windows issued?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Glad to hear of no further bsod. It was probably MagicDisc causing it. The answer to your question about 3rd party firewalls: Yes, many times they are known to and do cause issues of all sorts including bsod.

I would hold off on reinstalling any such software until you are completely sure your machine is working very well. Then, upon reinstallation, if issues arise you will know exactly why and can remove the offending software. If you do eventually install, make sure it is the latest version available of whatever you choose. (I would go KIS over NIS any day. ZoneAlarm Extreme is what I use on all my machines flawlessly for years.)

That being said, the Windows Firewall does an excellent job and further security is not needed to be secure. It is trustworthy.

As far as your IDE ATA/ATAPI controller driver goes, tell me which motherboard you have. Use CPU-Z to find out if you don't know. I'll be able to quickly find the latest available driver for you to install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks TorrentG for the invaluable advice.

Irony of it was that people advised I uninstall Daemon Tools and put on MagicISO to stop the BSODs, and now I have to change to another emulation software again. lol I guess I'm just unlucky :(

I have a Gigabyte P55-UD3R board. Thanks again for helping. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I looked at the Gigabyte specs on your machine:

"GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
  1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
  2. 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
  3. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD"

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...rboard&ProductID=3163&ProductName=GA-P55-UD3R

It seems that the IDE port is covered by the SATA2 driver and included with that. So I'd install the latest version of the SATA2 driver:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Moth...?ProductID=3163&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

____

As far as the others telling you about Daemon Tools and sptd.sys, they were correct about that. Where they went wrong was telling you to install MagicISO.

PowerISO is the only way to go for emulation under Windows 7 as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.PowerISO.com

I know it shows to by it, but the emulation of their demo works forever. No need to pay for the emulation of the program. Paying is only for the "extras".

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi TorrentG,

lol sorry to bother again, thought it was all ok but the BSOD is starting again!

Latest minidumps posted.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Reaction score
No problem.

Please uninstall Norton/Symantec that you hadn't had previously (just installed after previous help) and your issues will go away. I recommend MSE as a replacement.

Here is a special tool to uninstall Norton:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Reaction score
hmm I thought I have removed everything!

No worries, I'll try it out tonight. I am using MSE atm.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have done everything correctly and no trace of NIS is left on my pc. But the bsod happened again.

Latest minidump file attached.

Thanks again.

Attachments

Reaction score
This NetGroup Packet Filter Driver commonly used with WinPCap is older and should be updated or removed from the system:

Code:
npf      npf.sys      Tue Dec 23 10:17:56 2008
Likely not the cause, but it would be good anyhow to update this Realtek driver. It could be for your Netgear wireless card, if you have one. So you could probably check with Netgear for an update:

Code:
RtNdPt60 RtNdPt60.sys Sun Jul 19 22:27:32 2009
Again, likely not the cause, but you can update this driver by updating PowerIso:

Code:
SCDEmu   SCDEmu.SYS   Mon Jul 27 13:53:10 2009
http://www.PowerIso.com

There's really not much else I see that could be a cause for concern. If you still run into trouble, I would remove iTunes if only temporarily to see if that stabilizes the system. This driver is known to be iffy:

Code:
 GEARAspiWDM GEARAspiWDM.sys Mon May 18 08:17:04 2009
And finally, if all else fails, I'd run Memtest86+ overnight to test the memory modules. If they appear clean after that long, then most likely there isn't a physical memory problem.

Maybe uninstall Everest because these types of drivers can also be iffy and a quick Google shows it does cause bsod at times:

Code:
kerneld  kerneld.amd64 Wed Feb 17 13:47:03 2010

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi TorrentG

Just would like to say thank you for the help above.

Did as you advised with the above and also found that my ATi drivers were outdated so I updated that too - working fine so far so fingers crossed!

Just curious, would you know of any method where I can have a program automatically tell me what drivers needs updating instead of me having to find out individually?

Again, thanks alot for your help. Cheers.

Reaction score
Hi,

Spoke too soon and BSOD started appearing aagain!!! Reinstalled windows it BSOD even when I didn't have anything installed yet!! Updated all my drivers, BSOD again. Enabled driver verifier - attached is the first dump produced after enabling driver verifier.

Please help direct me in the right path to resolving this issue!!! I feel like crying :(

Attachments

Reaction score
Likely not the cause, but it would be good anyhow to update this Realtek driver. It could be for your Netgear wireless card, if you have one. So you could probably check with Netgear for an update:

Code:
RtNdPt60 RtNdPt60.sys Sun Jul 19 22:27:32 2009
Follow this above and see how this goes.

You may have not enabled Driver Verifier correctly since this isn't a verified crash dump.

Ask a Question