Hello

Reaction score
New PC is partially built, and am waiting the arrival of my W7 disks. Considering 64 bit instead of 32. With your thoughts hope to avoid some of the pitfalls I've read about.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Aycon, welcome to the forums :)

If it's a new PC, I'm guessing 64 bit will be the way to go. If you post your system specs in a new thread we can take a look and can give our thoughts on the bit version.

Reaction score
W-7 32 bit vs 64 bit

Ian,

In addition to hard drives, CD/DVD's and video card the "new" machine has:
CPU - Intel i7 920;
MB - [FONT=&quot]ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
RAM - 6 GB
PS -
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Silverstone OP1000-E

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The W-7 compatibility list published by the Windows 7 Forums was very helpful in moving me from XP. What I can't get my mind around is if some programs and drivers written for 32 bit machines will work on 64 bit machines, why won't they work on all 64 bit machines? (Or am I not understanding the "highway analogy" - 32 lane highways vs 64 lane highways?) Are there site, or ways to determine which programs, devices or drivers that need updating to run on 64 bit machines? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
For example, the MS Compatibility page tells me my printer (HP LaserJet 6L), scanner (HP PrecisionScan Pro 3.1); speakers (
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Creative SB Live[/FONT][FONT=&quot]); camera (Intel PC Camera CS431); and Hauppauge Win TV PVR card are either compatible with W-7, or they're waiting vendor confirmation. Something similar would be very helpful for those of us upgrading and trying to decide between a 32 bit and 64 bit install.

Aycon

[/FONT]

Reaction score
First of all this should probably be in a new thread.
Second I am no expert on 64 bit technology but from my understanding certain 64 bit processors and/or OSes are backwards compatible with 32 bit while some aren't. That might explain why some 64 bit systems will run 32 bit software and drivers and others won't. Also you can run a 64 bit system as 32 bit only by installing a 32 bit OS on the system. It just doesn't utilize the full capability of the processor.
If someone knows more about this than me and finds an error, please correct me.

Also Welcome to the forums.
-Dan

Last edited:

Ask a Question