Growing closer to our first goal

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Alright, after some difficulty getting the client set up I am back in the, well, fold.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I tried out one of the high performance clients on my desktop, but only around 50% of my CPU was being used, meaning that only one core was kicking in. I checked not to lock the program to a single core, but apparently that's what happened anyway. Anyone else with this problem?

It was the fourth option down on the page where the high performance clients are, the one right above the Beta version. I'm trying to make some headway, as you can see by my WU's. My notebook is crashing time after time, sometimes when a job is 80 to 90% complete. I should be at around 50 WU's by now. There goes that Acronis drive warning alert now, I've stripped the notebook down to stock, only having 2K & XP Pro on it (dumped 7 & Vista altogether), and still having problems. It was shut off for two hours, after only 30 minutes of running, a drive temp warning is already on? Yes, sure enough, it's at 127 degrees, about the time it reaches 130, it crashes. The fan is running, and it's over an A/C vent. I'm afraid I cant rely on it anymore to fold with.

So, the issue at hand here, is how can I get mine to produce some decent numbers. It's a dual core AMD Athlon X2 (not the newest dual core), there must be some potential in it, it's never crashed once since it was bought, runs several programs at a time without slowing noticeably. I was told that it could be easily be replaced with an AMD quad, but I don't want my warranty affected, and secondly, I plan to get a high performance notebook soon. I've already decided on probably a Lenovo, which has a high performance AMD Fusion processor, the most bang for the buck. With the Fusion, there's a dual or quad, which I'll pick the latter of the two.

But on the processor that I currently have, how can I get both cores running at once? You can't get anywhere at 50% CPU usage.

Cat

Reaction score
cat which high performance client did you download?

Was it the SMP2 console client?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, it was the GPU2 console client. The one that's listed right before the two betas, one of which you are speaking of. I've tried to run the one you're speaking of, my computer doesn't run fast enough for it. It only gives you three days to complete the job, and it was showing around two weeks left on my desktop.

Reaction score
cat the "AMD Athlon 64 X2 3250e" is comparably the same CPU that I had with the "Celeron Dual Core E1200". I was completing a work unit within a day and a half with 100% CPU usage. Thats half the time needed to meet the dead line. Your CPU should give more points than your GPU.

But to answer your question about the 50% CPU usage running the GPU2 client that is normal with and ATI chipset. nVidia uses way less CPU because it does not have to be ported through the CPU to run the client. I'm not sure how true it is, I've heard it practically takes one complete CPU core to run each GPU2 client for ATI graphics.

Ask a Question