Firefox 3.6 is unbelievably slow

Reaction score
I have tried FF several times and been disapointed each time. I find that IE8 opens imediately in Windows 7 and could not be faster. I won't be bothering with FF again thanks.:)

Reaction score
Try these steps it might work for you. No guarantee.
Open Firefox, and type about:config in the address bar. Don’t worry about the warning that comes out.

1. Use the filter above to find network.http.pipelining and set it to True by double clicking on it.
  2. Create a new boolean value named network.http.pipelining.firstrequest and set that to True, as well.
  3. Find network.http.pipelining.maxrequests, double click on it, and change its value to 8.
  4. Now look for network.http.proxy.pipelining and again set it to True.
  5. Create two new integers named nglayout.initialpaint.delay and content.notify.interval, setting them to 0.Now restart your browser and check a few heavy-loading websites to see if those changes worked or not.

Reaction score
Try these steps it might work for you. No guarantee.
Open Firefox, and type about:config in the address bar. Don’t worry about the warning that comes out.

1. Use the filter above to find network.http.pipelining and set it to True by double clicking on it.
  2. Create a new boolean value named network.http.pipelining.firstrequest and set that to True, as well.
  3. Find network.http.pipelining.maxrequests, double click on it, and change its value to 8.
  4. Now look for network.http.proxy.pipelining and again set it to True.
  5. Create two new integers named nglayout.initialpaint.delay and content.notify.interval, setting them to 0.Now restart your browser and check a few heavy-loading websites to see if those changes worked or not.
I don't need to mess about like that, IE8 opens immediately and does not give me any problems. There seems to be a kind of snobbery among FF users, who look down on IE users for some unknown reason.

Reaction score
I don't need to mess about like that, IE8 opens immediately and does not give me any problems. There seems to be a kind of snobbery among FF users, who look down on IE users for some unknown reason.
@andsome:- I agree with you Sir, people underestimate IE8 a lot now a days. I, myself use IE8 without any trouble. I provided with the above steps as other user want to speed up their Firefox performance.Thank you..

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It's a matter of choice really. I have never belittled or berated people who use IE8.

I just like Firefox better because it is more configurable and has more tweak and add-on items for it.

So far as a secure browser is concerned; the only really secure browser is Opera according to Secunia's testing methods.

That's why there is a choice out there. IE8, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, SeaMonkey, etc.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
On my systems, Firefox out performs IE in speed, program loading/and page loading. I can't explain it.
IE does a horrible job with passwords compared to FF. I'm not an IE hater, nor do I hate the people who use it but it is more frustrating for me to use.
I am looking forward to the release of IE9 because I believe MS is constructing it to purr with W7 and not worrying too much about compatibility with older OS's

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am looking forward to the release of IE9 because I believe MS is constructing it to purr with W7 and not worrying too much about compatibility with older OS's
My sentiments exactly!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I actually use IE and firefox but I will say that the simple fact firefox has a built-in spell checker is quite beneficial when posting to the forum.

At the moment I'm in IE so I had to make a special effort to spell-check this so I didn't look stupid while mentioning it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've used IE, FF, Opera, Google Chrome, Safari, Seamonkey and a few other browsers. FF 4.0 Beta 3 is my default browser. I can't speak for others, but I don't look down on IE users, or any other browser or OS user. I converted to FF last summer, when my main OS was XP Pro. In the spring of 2009, I was "invited" to improve IE by upgrading to IE8 from IE7. I had no problems with IE7 at all, and I installed IE8 onto an OS that the browser wasn't even built for.

Windows 7 was on it's way, and the robbed Vista users deserved a better browser than they had. No way was MS going to release Windows 7 with IE7 as it's default browser. It looks good on Vista & Windows 7, but on XP, there were many problems with pages not rendering properly, it was slower than IE7 too. The reason that I couldn't simply uninstall IE8 from XP was that I had SP2 at the time of install, then a week or so later, SP3 was delivered via automatic updates. At the time, I was not backing up, due to not educating myself on it, and the only alternative was a reinstall, which I didn't want to do.

FF 3.5 RC was available at the time of my conversion (late spring 2009), I installed it, and my notebook ran faster than ever. And I was able to make my FF the way that I wanted it to be. A refreshing change from IE for me.

The only ones (that I see) that fits into the snobbery and looking down on other users are Apple Mac consumers. I know a few Mac users, and they fit that description perfectly. Their sales force are no different, they openly look down on Windows products as though it were garbage, an "inferior" OS, and the computers it runs on. In one of those Apple "kiosk's", a couple of years ago, I actually was considering buying one, and had the cash to do so, but after the salesman made those comments, I was turned off on the thought of being a Mac user. I just didn't feel comfortable with his presentation. Instead of spending his time explaining the benefits of being a Mac user, he turned it into a Microsoft bashing speech, which forever left a bad taste in my mouth in regards towards Apple.

Cat

Reaction score
clean up ur system temp files, clean internet history, clean registry, clean up ur internet cache, upgrade firfox

Reaction score
why are people still talking on this thread? its outdated out by quite some way. 3.6 was the start of the thread and we're nearing 4 now?

how has it turned into a snobbery competition?! crazy times.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you created the post you didn't specify the version in the title and regardless of version people always want the app to run faster. Also the thread was never marked solved.

But the biggest reason is probably because when threads are displayed, sometimes an old thread may be at the top of the list and newer members don't notice the creation date. I don't believe the last poster feels there is any competition as he had posted less than 5 posts when he offered help here. Also as you said we are nearing version 4 so maybe he thought upgrading to the 4 beta would actually help your situation.

If you feel the thread is solved then you might mark it as such, You might also want to unsubscribe from the thread so you no longer get emails about posts to it.

Reaction score
try these stpes may help u
Try to install a newer version of firefox.
This is a common problem with Firefox and the solution is also simple.
1. First go to Task Manager and end process “firefox.exe”.
2. Go to programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Firefox (safe mode)
3. In the check list select for defaults and disable all add-ons.
4. Click make the changes and restart.
Scan ur pc with maleware.
The another solution is
· Go to 'Run' and open 'cmd'
· Type 'netsh' in command console then press enter
· Then type 'winsock' and press enter and then type reset
· Restart Your PC
Another way is
· Open Regedit
· Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
· Find the Key :
· Name: EnableDCO and set
· Data: N
· Restart Your PC
· Problem Is Solve

It is a registry error. Run a registry cleaner to fix the error. Firefox creates registry key it may be error in registry key. May be dll is missing so you can run registry cleaner (reginout) to solve it.

Reaction score
the thread was never marked solved because it never was. they just released new version # which rendered the thread moot. id wager that if anyone gets 3.6 today, theyd find it to "unbelievably slow". as it were, i left the thread as it was, but that the thread morphed into a "who is more arrogant than who" thread i thought id ask what was going on.

i dont feel the thread is anything, and that its garnering the attentions of so many helpful people, i think ill leave it as it is.

Reaction score
This was the only place that mentions google chrome and home page, so this is my problem, I would like to give google chrome a go. I like the open feel on the screen compared with IE. My only hangup with it (apart from the hidden favourites which is clumsy, I agree with the OP) is that i can't get it to open with my preferred homepage. I have all the right settings in the options tab but it opens with this page which is annoying. You lose the fast feel of it fiddling about going to the homepage.

http://disable-tabbed-bookmark-manager/

Ask a Question