Filing Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I've never used that product but I have used H+R Block's version and they spell all that out in the introduction and instructions so you are not surprised.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I actually used it to do this years Federal. It will do both Federal & State but the only thing that is free is the Federal 1040EZ; you cannot even see the state forms without paying them.

They said I could get a $17 refund from the state if I itemized but wanted me to pay $20.95 for their service; instead I used our states EZ phone in system and it said I did not owe or get a refund so I figure I'm still ahead $4 over paying TurboTax for my State forms. But I did use their system for my Federal and it even filed that electronically for me.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
TurboTax Rocks! It's free or not, depending upon your income level.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Does Turbo Tax do all of those itemized business tax returns for free too, or is it just for standard returns with a limited amount of deductions? For the last dozen or so of my working years (except the last one), there were numerous schedules that had to be attached to the return.

The last year that I filed (2007 for '06), I had only worked in January, so I was able to use Turbo Tax for free on the Federal, but like TM stated, I had to pay for the state return.

Cat

Reaction score
How is TurboTax free? It does all the calculations for you but come time to print it out or have it e-filed...they ask for your credit card information right after giving them your bank account information to get the refund deposited (i.e. "how would you like to pay" f***ing morons...).

I'm talking about TurboTax "free edition" by the way.

Comments such as the above will not endear you to any of the Mods here, or many members for that matter.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for your tax returns, not a Windows 7 Forum Off Topic Discussion thread!!

This is another reason why this thread is being closed due to baseless comments. Also you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited by a moderator:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
They need your credit card info to process your refund, the State return is NOT free. I forget the exact charge, but it was minimal (less than $25).

Would you rather pay that small amount, or go to H&R Block or one of the other high priced franchises to do them for you, who basically does the same?

BTW, today is May 25th. Returns are usually due April 15, this year there was a few days extra (I heard secondhand). If it's filed late, even if you're due a refund, you'll be penalized for filing late, if you didn't file for an extension prior to the normal deadline.

I had to deal with the taxing officials for years, it's a PITA that I don't miss a bit.

Cat

Reaction score
Wtf? I'm penalized even when I don't owe anything?

Why have I been only reading opposite answers lately? Weird. Besides I heard that the penalty is based on what you owe...and if you don't owe anything...then there's obviously no penalty.

By the way, must I file an extension even when I'm just owed a refund?

Reaction score
We are not tax professionals. Even if we were tax professionals, each state has there own regulations.

Reaction score
I've been trying to contact the IRS all day today and yesterday. They only have unhelpful automated messages.

Anyway I just took a snapshot of the E-file form (federal taxes) and this is what I have filled out so far:

Line 4 is supposed to be automatically generated when I click "Do the math" however it doesn't do jack when I click on it...even though I have the boxes above it filled out.

Are the second boxes for decimals? Sorry, this looks a little different than the actual paper forms despite them idiotically claiming it looks "the same," so I'm not sure if those second boxes are supposed to be for decimals...

And even still when I fill those second boxes out...it still doesn't calculate anything.

A tax professional isn't going to answer these questions, because there's not one I can get in touch with and thought maybe these questions in this post might be answered? I don't think I'm far from finishing this business.

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently those gray areas are just there and it doesn't even tell you what they're for. At first you'd think they're for dollar amounts. The amounts actually go at the right of the line #'s and you're supposed to know this magically even when there's nothing to indicate you were supposed to go there for input. Marvelous.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I suggest you contact H & R Block or some other local tax company in your town or city where you live.

As Cliff stated, "We are NOT tax professionals."

Use the Free Edition of TurboTax, it works!

I am closing this thread now.

Since we are not tax professionals and we're not going to be liable for any FUBARs you may make.

Doing taxes, believe it or not, is very easy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.