Filing Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I live in Maryland and know it's past the deadline for filing 2010 federal taxes, but I don't owe any money and am due some money back instead, for the little income I made, and I file with 1040EZ. Can I still file taxes to recieve that money back and if so, what should I do if all the 1040EZ forms are gone from my local libraries? Are they the PDF files you can google, print, and mail to the government?

I was also wondering if they can be sent electronically, and whether or not there are sites that do the forms for you (based on what you tell them is on your W-2's?)

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
All you need to do is download the 1040EZ PDF from irs.gov. You will be penalized for late filing, as you are also past the extension deadline. You may still file, and you will still receive a tax refund.

Your state should also make its tax forms available online.

I would recommend you just get a copy of TurboTax. It seems like you're a little hazy on how to do your taxes by hand.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
TurboTax Free is a great application and it easy to use, plus basically foolproof.

If you're owed a refund from the IRS, they probably won't penalize you, it's only if YOU OWE MONEY... then the IRS can get a little perturbed about that.

A couple of times I filed late in the last few year due to ex-employers and their FUBAR of my W-4 forms. I had no penalty assessed on me, the sooner you get it filed, the less problems you'll have. That's what an IRS agent told me last time.

Reaction score
I notice that on the online PDF for the 1040EZ, where you type in amounts, there's apparently two boxes for each amount, separated by a long vertical line that spans the page. It's on the right side of the PDF: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040ez.pdf?portlet=3

Is that second box for decimals or something? If not then what's it for? And can I choose to not round off amounts to the nearest dollar (reading the 1040EZ instructions, I can't tell if this is a requirement or not)?

Thanks for the help...

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes you can round off to the nearest dollar amount.

Yes the column to the right is for the "Cents" amount.

Reaction score
I had another question. I got a 1098-T form from my college, which is a tuition statement outlining the amount I was billed for college expenses. My parents already used this to do their taxes. Does this mean I should just forget about it when doing my own taxes (since it reduces the amount of taxes my parents paid)? They claim me as a dependent by the way.

Reaction score
Hi MJOLNIR

These are questions that should be answered by a tax professional. I'm not aware of anyone here that would qualify for helping you. Taxes are something not to take lightly. If you was to be given a wrong answer, you could be penalized severely.

The answer to your question in my mind could only be answered by someone that was familiar with how your parents filed their taxes, that is if it is even relevant. I do know that if your parents used the amount as an expense on their taxes, it was not an expense on your taxes. Two parties can not use the same expenses when filing, unless the expenses was split between them.

Reaction score
I don't have a copy of my 2009 State Tax Return (for some reason, the 2010 State Tax Return requires it). Is there a way I can re-obtain a copy? I have filed this in 2009, but, I'm not sure of the amounts I put in the form.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
You need to contact your state tax agency and they can get you a copy of the 2009 return.

In the future, starting now, make photocopies or scan all your important documents and store them on an external hard drive or store them online at a place such as MediaFire File Host website. That's what I do, actually I store them on both places to be sure.

Reaction score
You need to contact your state tax agency and they can get you a copy of the 2009 return.

In the future, starting now, make photocopies or scan all your important documents and store them on an external hard drive or store them online at a place such as MediaFire File Host website. That's what I do, actually I store them on both places to be sure.
Yeah it's just that I thought I didn't need any tax forms for a year that wasn't the current one :(. Poopie...anyway calling the agency tomorrow and hopefully they can tell me that amount or something. Or I guess I can wait for them to mail it for me...actually 2 questions:

1. Does it cost to get a copy?

2. Any chance I can get an electronic version? Like the PDF sent to my email?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
:confused:

Totally confused...how are taxes and the IRS related to Windows 7?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
For Federal returns you have to have the last year's return also, usually the EIN number of the electronic return and/or the amount refunded / paid.

Reaction score
For Federal returns you have to have the last year's return also, usually the EIN number of the electronic return and/or the amount refunded / paid.
They didn't ask that on TurboTax, though this may have something to do with the fact I am owed a refund (for the federal part).

Anyway, don't understand why they can't just send you the money if you're issued a refund. They're literally saying "if you don't file and remind us, tough, we're not giving you back anything?"

Reaction score
Anyway, don't understand why they can't just send you the money if you're issued a refund. They're literally saying "if you don't file and remind us, tough, we're not giving you back anything?"
I don't understand why they take it to begin with if you don't owe it. It would be so much simpler if they only took what you owed them in the first place.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
First of all, if you guys did your research you would know that the IRS is an ILLEGAL entity that has no constitutional basis.

NO WHERE is it stated that one has to pay taxes. We are intimidated to pay taxes.

The 16th Amendment to the Constitution was NEVER ratified by the required 40 states at that time over 80 years ago. The 16th Amendment is illegal.

http://www.supremelaw.org/sls/31answers.htm

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
.......is a PITA!

Glad that I no longer have to file them. Those long forms for the State & Federal Returns can get costly to file. I paid $175 per year for the service by a professional accountant that moonlights in addition to her job. This service normally costs $325.

As to Nibs post & link, it's correct. But trying to fight the feds is a no win deal for one person. I had a couple of co-workers who tried (this is not a new concept, read the article), and ended up paying the back taxes, with penalties & interest.

And another thing, make sure that you keep ALL of your returns (along with all supporting receipts for deductions) for at least 5 years from the due date of the return. Meaning that we should still have 2006's returns in case of an audit. Back in 1998, I had a charitable deduction in the amount of $700, and in 2002, my state return was audited. The envelope with my receipts somehow was misplaced. I ended up losing the deduction, and it cost me around $760 to resolve it.

Needless to say, I don't miss filing tax returns at all.

Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sure Nibs, sure :p But if you DO FILE then you are obligated to follow the rules or be in violation of the law.

Last I knew Mjolnir, you are required to maintain copies for 7 years of back taxes for your records as the IRS can order reviews back so many years (3 I think) and if the find irregularities can go back a total of 7. Also your refund is income for the following year so in case you itemize you will need this years tax forms to prepare next years returns. Always make a copy.

And in the future, if you physically mail your returns then you should send them certified mail so you have proof of mailing; if they are lost you are not liable for late fees because you can show you sent them on time.

Reaction score
Good god, is TurboTax free edition free or not? Just when I thought I was done with this tax business (I got all the info I needed, even from the state agency about that one amount on a previous year's tax return).

Do they mean it's free for them to prepare your federal + state tax returns but it's not for doing the next insanely easy part, having them e-filed or letting you simply print them out to mail them yourself? Looks like not free to me.

Anything I'm doing wrong? I chose "file by mail" because "E-filing" seemed to require more steps and is what looked like would charge. I thought file by mail would just print them out for you to send them yourself.

Anyway, if I have no choice here but to pay because of their so-called free service, is there another way I can get this forms filled out for free? I guess I would then just have to do them via the IRS website and state website. Hoping their e-filing is free. Printing them from your house to mail them yourself darn better be.

Status
Not open for further replies.