Fan for laptop

Reaction score
I live in a very warm climate and don't always deploy the air conditioning. Do members recommend that I buy a fan which runs off a USB port to provide additional cooling for my laptop?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can buy a notebook cooling pad, if you want. It will help you with cooling. As to whether you get a USB powered one or a regular wall plug in one, the AC powered one will be better, plus one important thing to consider. A USB powered one will drain your battery faster than normal. But if your notebook is hooked up to AC power, this won't be an issue. suenay, it's smart thinking of you to consider cooling your notebook, especially where it's hot. Hopefully, you'll get many years of use from it.

BTW, it's good to hear from you again, suenay.:) Keep in touch!

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm still in the transition of changing calling a laptop a notebook, which now seems to be the proper name for it. A notebook & laptop are essentially the same, and it can be dangerous for it to sit on your lap for long periods without a cooler. They can get hot enough to burn your leg, I know firsthand. So a notebook is a better name for the devices.

Reaction score
I always use mine on my desk. You are right the manufacturer's description of mine is a notebook....but old habits die hard. I wondered if it was possible to get a shallow stand for it which would incorporate a fan without making it too high off the desk top.

Sue

Reaction score
Very many thanks to everyone who answered....I didn't even know there was such a thing as a cooling pad. Amazon will have one no doubt and i am sure I could source one in Spain. I will definitely look at one which runs off a wall socket...I only have 4 USB ports and they are rapidly getting used up ...printer, camera, wireless mouse etc etc

Sue

Reaction score
I have just ordered a Logitech N100 Laptop/Notebook Cooling Pad...it has 2 fans and plugs into the mains circuit so I don't have to monopolise another of my USB ports.
£12.21 from Amazon plus a few quid to post it to Spain.
Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply.

Sue

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This is one of Newegg's top sellers, I'm sure you can find it over in Europe too.

Thermaltake Massive23 ST 23cm fan Notebook Cooler Model CLN0009

Model Brand: Thermaltake
Model: CLN0009
Spec: Accessory Type Cooler

Specifications:

• Dimension: 14.17" (L) x 12.56" (W) x 2.05" (H)
  • Weight: 1.97 lbs. (890 g)
  • Material: Plastic + Metal Mesh
  • Max. Air Flow: 57 CFM
  • Noise Level: 17 dBA
  • Rated Voltage: 5 V
  • Rated Current: 0.22 A
  • Power Connector: USB
  • Accessory: USB to USB Cable
Application: For 10" ~ 17" Notebook Features Features Oversized definitely quiet 230mm Blue LED fan accelerates airflow to improve overall heat dissipation
Built-in Blue LED On/Off switch to easily adapt to different working or gaming environment.

Ultra-lightweight ABS Plastic material combines with black metal mesh stylish design
USB powered cable eliminates bulky AC power adapter.

Supports laptop size from 10" ~ 17", especially for wide-screen laptop

Price is $29.99 US Dollars or 24.94 Euros plus shipping $8.50 US Dollars or 7.07 Euros.

Here is link for it at Amazon.co.uk

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
This is one of Newegg's top sellers, I'm sure you can find it over in Europe too.

Thermaltake Massive23 ST 23cm fan Notebook Cooler Model CLN0009

Model Brand: Thermaltake
Model: CLN0009
Spec: Accessory Type Cooler

Specifications:

• Dimension: 14.17" (L) x 12.56" (W) x 2.05" (H)
  • Weight: 1.97 lbs. (890 g)
  • Material: Plastic + Metal Mesh
  • Max. Air Flow: 57 CFM
  • Noise Level: 17 dBA
  • Rated Voltage: 5 V
  • Rated Current: 0.22 A
  • Power Connector: USB
  • Accessory: USB to USB Cable
Application: For 10" ~ 17" Notebook Features Features Oversized definitely quiet 230mm Blue LED fan accelerates airflow to improve overall heat dissipation
Built-in Blue LED On/Off switch to easily adapt to different working or gaming environment.

Ultra-lightweight ABS Plastic material combines with black metal mesh stylish design
USB powered cable eliminates bulky AC power adapter.

Supports laptop size from 10" ~ 17", especially for wide-screen laptop

Price is $29.99 US Dollars or 24.94 Euros plus shipping $8.50 US Dollars or 7.07 Euros.

Here is link for it at Amazon.co.uk

Nice!

Yes indeed, you need a cooling pad. Not only do you risk burning yourself, but you also risk frying you hard drive / motherboard. I don't use a cooling pad, because the temperature ere never goes over 20.C.
The Logitech N100 looks nice, but in te description, it says that it is USB powered...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Even USB powered fans normally have a plug that a 5V A/C adapter can be attached instead or you can buy an A/C to usb adapter and just plug it in there instead of the laptop.

Ask a Question