Fallout 3 Expansion Packs

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone tried all of the new Fallout 3 expansion packs? I played the game to completion a few months ago and thought it was one of my favourites. However, I can't re-play a single-player game again until I've almost forgotten the story - otherwise I find it boring.

I've seen that there are lots of new content packs (Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta), but I don't know how much these will actually expand the original gameplay.

Has anyone tried them and know if they add significantly to the story? If so, I'll probably get them in a bundle sometime next year and give it another go. I'm really interested in any thoughts on this :).

A bit OT, but I'm looking forward to giving Mass Effect and HL2 another go just before the sequels come out!

Reaction score
Broken steel lets u go to level 30, and help further destroy the enclave. The others are added 'missions'. I have not completed them all but new (some very tough) enemies and fun new weapons!
For some of these enemies I had to tone down gameplay to 'normal' because a full clip from eugene wasnt enough to kill one bad guy using 'hard'.
Good clean fun and it will make u stay up too late again.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Bilbo :D Next time there's an offer on for these packs I'll pick them up and give it a go. I hope there is another game in the Fallout series :)

JCM

Reaction score
They won't work in Windows 7. Called tech support - "we don't support windows 7". Any possibility of a new patch -"I don't know". Ignorant attitude.

I just bought the Game of the year version with all the addons. I expected it to work in Windows 7 since it was just released but - no go. It works in Vista.

Reaction score
Fallout 3 Expansion Pack Install for Windows 7

I have had success in installing all of the expansion packs onto Windows 7. Follow these steps:

First, get the latest update and install it. (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates.html)

1. After you put the DVD into your drive, click "Start" and then "Computer".
2. Right-click on your DVD drive
3. Click "Open in new window"
4. Right-click and copy the Fallout 3 DLC file
5. Paste it onto your Desktop
6. Right-click the DLC file
7. Click on "Properties
8. Click on the "Compatibility" tab
9. Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2) in the "Compatibility Mode"
10. Click "Run this program as Administrator" in "Privilege Level"
11. Click "Apply", then "OK"
12. Close all open windows
13. Double-click the Fallout 3 DLC file to run it

The program should run now, and a lot quicker than when you tried to run it off the DVD. Next you need to go to the following link and download the "Fallout Mod Manager".

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fomm/

When you have it downloaded, install it and then run it.

Once it is running, click on the "Auto Sort" button. It will warn you that it is a Beta feature and may not work, but it does. It will list all of the expansion pack that are installed on your PC and in what order. You may want to make note of the order if you are one of those players who use the "player.additem" cheat feature. The item codes from the expansion packs need the two digit number associated with the expansion pack (IE. The Pitt 02). The 02 goes in place for the "xx" if the item code is listed as xx00B806.

After all of this click on the "Launch Fallout" button.

Everything should work now.

****BE WARNED...YOU WILL LOSE ALL SAVED GAMES*****

Good luck,
Stu

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

JCM

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and Happy Newyear. I made an extra computer that runs XP and use it for this game. I am amazed that the writers of the game wouldn't write a patch to fix this. Oh well.
Thanks again.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I bought the game of the year release which includes all the expansions. I installed the game and then installed the expansions.
The only problem I found was that the second DVD wouldn't auto start.
Once the expansions are installed click the game launcher and you'll see the 'play box' show up. You'll notice below play is 'Data files'. If you click that you'll then see where you tick to allow the expansions to work (see screenshots).

Just to add I'm running 64bit win 7 and I also didn't lose any saved games..

Attachments

JCM

Reaction score
Sounds good but didn't work for me or another user in Windows 7 home premimum 32 bit. Kept crashing or ? Works well in XP and Vista. The company support said it wasn't designed to work in Windows 7 and wouldn't offer a patch.

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The only thing I can suggest is trying compatibility mode or checkout the Fallout 3 forum. I had a problem with micro stutter and found a fix via the Fallout 3 forum.

JCM

Reaction score
Thanks. I found it. Still dosn't work in Windows 7 - for me. The game works till I upgrade to 1.7 - needed for the add ons.

Ask a Question