explorer thumbnails preview option missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a weird one. I have two PC's running Windows 7 Ultimate. One functions perfectly with zero issues. The user of the "other" PC complained yesterday that he didn't have image preview thumbnails in Explorer.
I explained how to expose Performance Options properties:
Control Panel -->System and Security -->System -->Advanced system settings "Performance" --> Settings --> Visual Effects, and simply click on "Show thumbnails instead of icons" --> "OK" -->"OK" and close all remaining windows.

He stated that he didn't have such an option available to check off, so I started an RDP session, and verified that - indeed - he's correct. I've put both properties windows up side-by-side and screenshotted 'em. The result can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38519979@N07/4133214280/sizes/o/

So that you know what you're seeing: the right half of the image is the PC working as expected, and there are three more attributes (marked with arrows) visible in that properties window than the other PC.

I checked running services on each machine, and whatever is running on "my" W7 workstation, is running on the users' box also. There is one difference between the two boxes - the graphics cards are dissimilar, but that shouldn't affect the exposed properties list....or so I would think anyway.

I''ve been scratching my head about this for the past 24 hours. In general W7 is pretty consistent - much more so than its predecessors, so a sudden inconsistency of this type is a tough one to troubleshoot.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm no Windows n00b, but I'm fresh out of ideas about how to proceed on this one. I'm stumped! Before reinstalling (and possibly just ending up at the same point all over again) I'd like to canvass the membership for similar experiences.

Regards & TIA,
/me

Reaction score
Missing option in Visual Effects

I also do not have a "thumbnails" option in this dialogue. Same thing once happened in Windows XP and it turned out to be a registry entry that went missing. I found a web article that explained how to fix it and it did.

That was some time ago and I can't remember the details. perhaps a more knowledgeable member can help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If they haven't solved it in almost 4 years then I'm sure they gave up by now.
***Thread closed***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question