Ethernet Connection

Reaction score
I am quite disappointed at how this didn't work out.

I was sure the following would work...using a 50 ft RJ45 cable between my router and my two consoles, and using two t-adapters, one for each end, to simultaneously give them a wired internet connection.

I connected the two male ends of this to my router, and the female part of it to the 50 ft ethernet cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10513&cs_id=1051304&p_id=1106&seq=1&format=2

Then at the other end of the 50 ft cable, used this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10513&cs_id=1051304&p_id=7294&seq=1&format=2

I connected the 1 female port to the 50 ft cable, and used two 1 ft ethernet cables in each of the side-by-side female ports to connect to my PS3 and 360, yet when I get online with one console, it automatically disconnects the other...that shouldn't happen. That would happen had I not used the t-adapter where the router is, but no...I am utilizing both of these adapters.

Reaction score
Link #1 is not a splitter.
T-adapters for CAT5e (ethernet) applications are great cost saving devices that help to reduce the number of lines needed to connect two distant points. They ARE NOT splitters in the traditional sense. You CAN NOT use it to split a single port on a modem, computer, switch, router or hub. What they do allow you to do is connect 2 ports on a switch, hub or router to 2 different computers using a single Ethernet cable to bridge the two points.
This device combines both Ethernet signals into one cable. Ethernet cables have 8 wires of which only 4 are used. This allows for the possibility of placing two sets of Ethernet signals in one wire. For this setup to work you will need two T-Adaptors, one for both ends of the 50' cable to separate the signals to their own cable again.

Link #2 is a splitter and cannot be used at the same time. Trying to use the splitter at the same time will cause mixed signaling that results in data corruption.
*NOTE: This product is ONLY intended to support 1 device at a time. It will not allow 1 RJ45 port on your source device to be "shared" or split into 2 RJ45 ports simultanously.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Link #1 is not a splitter.

This device combines both Ethernet signals into one cable. Ethernet cables have 8 wires of which only 4 are used. This allows for the possibility of placing two sets of Ethernet signals in one wire. For this setup to work you will need two T-Adaptors, one for both ends of the 50' cable to separate the signals to their own cable again.

Link #2 is a splitter and cannot be used at the same time. Trying to use the splitter at the same time will cause mixed signaling that results in data corruption.
1. What do you mean "use the splitter at the same time"? Do you mean if I use it with the t-adapter at the same time, try to connect with both computers at the same time using the splitter, or something else?

2. How about if I use two splitters, one on each end, instead of using the splitter on one end and the t adapter on the other end? This sounds like it would fail, but just asking.

3. What do you mean by data corruption? For what it looks like it just causes the second device to disconnect from the internet when the other device connects.

Reaction score
1. What do you mean "use the splitter at the same time"? Do you mean if I use it with the t-adapter at the same time, try to connect with both computers at the same time using the splitter, or something else?
link number two is splitting the same signal. you cant use the split signals at the same time.

link number one combines a group of 4 wires for signal one with another group of four wires for two sets of signals in one cable. Using the splitter as you have done is splitting only one of the signals to two ports. The second signal in the combined cable is not being accessed.

If you notice pins 4, 5, 7, and 8 are not even used. The second cable when combined uses these wires. In order to take advantage of these wires you will need the same device on both ends of the 50' cable.

The splitter that you are using splits a single Ethernet signal only. That splitter is only wired for pins 1, 2, 3, and 6.

2. How about if I use two splitters, one on each end, instead of using the splitter on one end and the t adapter on the other end? This sounds like it would fail, but just asking.

3. What do you mean by data corruption? For what it looks like it just causes the second device to disconnect from the internet when the other device connects.
Data corruption by two signals on the same set of wires is what causes the dis-connect

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You need to use what is known as an "ethernet switch". It's a box which distributes the signal up to 4 devices.

But if you going to spend the money for that, you might as well get a wired router for roughly the same amount of money, plus you'll have a NAT and perhaps also an SPI firewall protection built-in to the router.

The ethernet switch or network switch as defined from Wikipedia:
The network switch, packet switch (or just switch) plays an integral part in most Ethernet local area networks (LANs). Mid-to-large sized LANs contain a number of linked managed switches. Small office/home office (SOHO) applications typically use a single switch, or an all-purpose converged device such as a gateway to access small office/home broadband services such as DSL or cable internet. In most of these cases, the end-user device contains a router and components that interface to the particular physical broadband technology. User devices may also include a telephone interface for VoIP.

A standard 10/100 Ethernet switch operates at the data-link layer of the OSI model to create a different collision domain for each switch port. If you have 4 computers (e.g., A, B, C, and D) on 4 switch ports, then A and B can transfer data back and forth, while C and D also do so simultaneously, and the two "conversations" will not interfere with one another. In the case of a "hub," they would all share the bandwidth and run in Half duplex, resulting in collisions, which would then necessitate retransmissions. Using a switch is called microsegmentation. This allows you to have dedicated bandwidth on point-to-point connections with every computer and to therefore run in Full duplex with no collisions.

Reaction score
To the above reply, I do have a router, but I can't bring it where I want it, and I'm trying to avoid using two super-long ethernet cables, so t-adapters are my only option to bridge one long ethernet cable.

link number two is splitting the same signal. you cant use the split signals at the same time.
That's not what I was trying to do. I was aware using only one splitter (which MonoPrice also dubs "T-Adapter" by the way) on one single end of the long 50 ft RJ45 cable, will not allow me to get online with the PS3 and Xbox Simultaneously. I know I needed two of them, one on each end.

You said the T-Adapter with the male ends joins two signals into one long cable (the 50 ft cable in this case) whereas the 2 FM to 1 FM coupler can only manage to split a single signal from a cable into one of the side-by-side female ports.

Although, reading this myself:

*NOTE: This product is ONLY intended to support 1 device at a time. It will not allow 1 RJ45 port on your source device to be "shared" or split into 2 RJ45 ports simultanously.

I understand (and would understand) that as saying it won't allow ONE RJ45 port on a source device (I believe it's talking about a router) to be split and be used by two computers simultaneously. It does not really say it won't work if you have a t-adapter channeling two signals in the long 50 ft cable at the other side, as you've said (not arguing with you. I already know the method I tried doesn't work. I'm just saying I wish it was a little more specific on this matter).

And reading the description of the T-Adapter:

They ARE NOT splitters in the traditional sense. You CAN NOT use it to split a single port on a modem, computer, switch, router or hub. What they do allow you to do is connect 2 ports on a switch, hub or router to 2 different computers using a single Ethernet cable to bridge the two points.

It takes the initial two Ethernet connections from two PC's into the two female ports on the "T" adapter. The male Ethernet cable attached to the "T" adapter, connects to a wall plate/inline coupler/network panel. Then from the wall plate/inline coupler/network panel to the "T" adapter's male Ethernet cable and branches off to two female ports with Ethernet cables connected to and from the Router/Hub/Switch.

"They ARE NOT splitters in the traditional sense" looked like it was saying it cannot split a signal generally speaking, like say in the example where I try to use two speaker systems to play sound from a sound source. I would need a 1M/F (male or female, depending on what I need) 3.5mm to 2M/F adapter. That would split a signal (sound in this case) from a source device to two speaker systems to play the same sound from the source, so it seemed like it was saying you're going to need two of these bad boys in the installation to get it to do what you want (go online with two computers/consoles simultaneously).

The rest of the first part is saying, like in the description with the coupler, that it cannot split a single signal to be used simultaneously from the "double" side of the adapter, which is true, since I understood for a long time (I've had this issue on my mind for months. I just had to wait for MonoPrice to restock on something) that you need two of these things to channel two ethernet signals into one cable, so that at the other end it does actually split up...so what's all this talk about this not being a splitter? It does split two joined signals back into single signals to each of the two male ends branching off the adapter, right? This is what I thought.

Nowhere in these descriptions did I read the coupler cannot take in two signals from one cable, to have them split up to each of two small ethernet cables I would connect to the other side of the coupler. By one device at a time, I took it as saying in the sense where there is absolutely nothing at the other side of the line, the side that connects to the router. I thought the reason for that description was so that customers know they need another t-adapter at the other side. You have understood perfectly from those two descriptions that they have two completely different functions. I could not, from those descriptions, fathom how they are different other than the fact one adapter's double side is male and the other's is female.

link number one combines a group of 4 wires for signal one with another group of four wires for two sets of signals in one cable. Using the splitter as you have done is splitting only one of the signals to two ports. The second signal in the combined cable is not being accessed.
So the coupler cannot take in two signals into its single female port? Wish it said that specifically.

If you notice pins 4, 5, 7, and 8 are not even used. The second cable when combined uses these wires. In order to take advantage of these wires you will need the same device on both ends of the 50' cable.
Had the coupler functioned the same way maybe I'd never have made this topic.

The splitter that you are using splits a single Ethernet signal only. That splitter is only wired for pins 1, 2, 3, and 6.
I guess this is the key here, so if the splitter utilizied all 8 pins I take it it would then do what I wished? Great. Wish this detail was on MonoPrice's site as well. Wish this was in its knowledge base for sure. Heck the knowledge base for both products are blank. You'd think with an issue like this, they're going to give these specifics.

By the way, some may wonder why I didn't just go ahead and use two of the same t-adapters. Well they're short as heck. 6 inch, I mean come on MonoPrice. At least have one up to a foot long. Even squeezing my two consoles together makes me have to strength that 6 in. T-Adapter like no tomorrow. I blame MonoPrice entirely not only for lacking sufficient details on their products (when they manufacture them), but idiotically not having a RJ45 T-Adapter longer than 6 in., but whatever. Guess I'm going to buy a second T-Adapter stretch the mess out of it.

Data corruption by two signals on the same set of wires is what causes the dis-connect
What kind of data corruption, since ever since yesterday you've scared the crap out of me thinking my saved data on my consoles would get jacked up! O:<

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since the above is a big post, I want to make a second.

This is what I've got from MonoPrice as an answer to the corrupt data question:

TS - John L (Level 2): If you were transferring data and using both are being used, it might mix into the other signal and cause corruption that way
TS - John L (Level 2): So lets say if you were transferring videos
TS - John L (Level 2): It might merge together as creep as it sounds
TS - John L (Level 2): creepy*
TS - John L (Level 2): if its an internet connection
TS - John L (Level 2): disconnection will occur
TS - John L (Level 2): If the data packets dont match up"

I wasn't transferring anything. My PS3 and 360 automatically get online when I boot them up. Booted up my 360 yesterday; it got online. Then I did the same with my PS3, which caused the 360 to get disconnected, now all this talk of corrupted data packets/corrupted data in general is making me think something's been done and needs to be undone.

Reaction score
I'm not telling you it won't work. I'm telling you that you need two of the T-Adaptors from the first link. This is what you are doing.

Notice how the second line stops at the splitter because the splitter is designed to split the first line. If you want to split the signaling from the 50' cable back to two separate cables you are going to need a second T-Adaptor.

Oh and by the way Nibs is correct. you can place a network switch in the area of your PS3 and connect it to your router with the use of only one cable. The network switch will allow you to connect several network devices together including your router. If you decide to do this make sure you have an uplink port on either the router or the switch.

Attachments

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to scare you with this phrase, there is error checking features in how the data is transmitted through the cable. If the Ethernet controller detects errors the data is dropped and then there is a request for the data to be resent. If the problem is bad enough the connection is dropped completely. There is no danger in your stored data being corrupted, only the data that is currently being sent.

Reaction score
I'm not telling you it won't work. I'm telling you that you need two of the T-Adaptors from the first link. This is what you are doing.

Notice how the second line stops at the splitter because the splitter is designed to split the first line. If you want to split the signaling from the 50' cable back to two separate cables you are going to need a second T-Adaptor.

Oh and by the way Nibs is correct. you can place a network switch in the area of your PS3 and connect it to your router with the use of only one cable. The network switch will allow you to connect several network devices together including your router. If you decide to do this make sure you have an uplink port on either the router or the switch.
I don't entirely get that diagram, especially when at the top, all 4 lines are lit up on one side, so it looks like it's not getting anything from the left side (when the T-Adapter is supposed to channel signals from both sides), and at the bottom there are no lit up lines after the splitter (when one side does go through with a connection) but whatever. I get the general message though.

As for Nib's suggestion, I already said it's not desirable. I'd rather just utilize a small, light, t-adapter and not have to place a network switch/hub/whatever that isn't going to fit in a space of 2 inches between my TV stand and the wall behind it.

I wasn't trying to scare you with this phrase, there is error checking features in how the data is transmitted through the cable. If the Ethernet controller detects errors the data is dropped and then there is a request for the data to be resent. If the problem is bad enough the connection is dropped completely. There is no danger in your stored data being corrupted, only the data that is currently being sent.
Sure you weren't. :p jk

Anyway, I was wanting to ask you, as far as what would happen to the computers/consoles disconnecting from the internet, using the method I used (that you gave the diagram of), would it be the same if I just unplugged their connections?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Well, call the tech support people at Monoprice.com. They supplied the equipment, they should be able to help you with it.

Oh and by the way, a lot of network switches are extremely small and mount vertically on the wall in the 2" space you have with room leftover. The ethernet cables would hang from the bottom.

Reaction score
Don't want to do mounting, and it still doesn't seem more desirable than the T-option. As for the cables hanging down, they as well as the adapter are extremely light. Plus I can tape the coupler part of the adapter right on back of the desk. By the way I contacted them via their tech chat. Thanks though. :)

Ask a Question