End of support for Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista RTM

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As we announced in 2008, support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010. Support for Windows 2000 will end on the same date. Support for Windows Vista Release to Manufacturing (RTM) will end on April 13, 2010.

NOTE: There is no Service Pack 3 for the 64-bit version of Windows XP. If you are running the 64-bit version of Windows XP with Service Pack 2, you are on the latest service pack and will continue to be eligible for support and receive updates until April 8, 2014.

To find out if you are running the 64-bit version of Windows XP, right-click My Computer, then click Properties. If you do not see "64-bit" listed, then you are running the 32-bit version and you need to install Service Pack 3 . If "64-bit" is listed under System, then you are running the 64-bit version.

Customers running an unsupported version of Windows or service pack will not be eligible for any of our support options. Updates, including security updates released with bulletins from the Microsoft Security Response Center, will be reviewed and built for the supported versions and service packs only. The most current service packs are available to organizations, and they are easily deployed via Windows Update, Windows Server Update Services/Microsoft System Center, and the Microsoft Download Center. To better understand the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy and your support options visit the Microsoft Support Lifecycle page.

There is no supported migration path from Windows 2000 to Windows 7 using the Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT). You will need to upgrade to Windows XP and then migrate to Windows 7 using USMT 4.0, a tool included with the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK). For more information on Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 Server End of Support visit Windows 2000 End of Support Solution Center.

Updating your Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 2000 PCs before the end of mainstream support dates will ensure your PCs stay supported and receive security updates. The best way to be secure and supported is by migrating to Windows 7.

• Small and midsize businesses should migrate to Windows 7 Professional, which is designed to help you work the way you want, help you get more done, and safeguard your work.
  • Larger organizations should migrate to Windows 7 Enterprise, which enables enterprise users to be more productive from anywhere, manage risk through enhanced security and control, and reduce costs through streamlined PC management.
  • There are tools to help test and mitigate application compatibility issues, including the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, Windows XP Mode, and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V) to help migration. To learn more about these tools, visit the Springboard Series on TechNet.
  • Upgrading to Internet Explorer 8 improves the level of protection against current and emerging online threats.
SOURCE

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So that we have a better understanding of this and it's possible complications, does this mean that if I had to reinstall XP Pro (my reinstall disc is SP2), after the above date, I can't get SP3 or anymore updates? The same with Win 2K, the install disc is SP2, but after installing, it installs a "SP4 rollup package" (a large group of updates). I do have a regular XP Pro SP3 retail disc, but I saved it in case of the above scenario. If this is true (it probably is), then at least two reliable backups should be at hand for these users. Macrium Reflect is an excellent free backup program (I have recovered XP and Windows 7 with it), and it's fast. With the above in mind, make sure your installs are in good working order, and if possible, have two backups (on separate media) for your installs. XP Pro SP3 (OEM) discs are still in stock (they're pricey), but there's no Win 2K SP4 discs on the market. 32 bit XP users can update to SP3 and be good until April 2014. So if you've hesitated to upgrade to SP3 for any reason, you need to reconsider on that one. 64 bit XP Pro will continue to receive updates until April 8, 2014.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Tell me I'm wrong but I remember downloading the XP SP3 as a separate download for when I needed to install my XP SP2 and wanted to put in the upgrade while offline. If this is still possible, then I would add that to the list of files all users of XP SP2 should have on hand.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, XP SP3 is available as a separate download. As long as it's installed the XP 32 bit OS is good till 2014.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
But what if you had to reinstall from scratch, from a XP (home or pro) SP2 reinstall disc? It would no longer be supported. Could you get SP3 and your other updates in that scenario? In either case, I have a XP Pro SP3 install disc & COA, and a separate SP3 download on disc. I even have SP4 for Win 2K on disc, but after 7/13/10, that doesn't matter, no more updates for that OS, period. Vista w/no SP no longer is supported, too. I believe it (Vista) will die before XP does.

Reaction score
I'm not absolutely positive but tempted to say that the SP3 download will remain as a download. I think the drop in support will be the automatic updating with a SP2 or less. I don't see Microsoft removing this download until support for XP is dropped for all service packs.

I am tempted to say that if you download and install SP3, you will continue to receive updates from windows updates.

Reaction score
There was floating around for a while (think I've still got mine somewhere) a disk that had all the upgrade stuff for SP3... They were handed out free at Superstores. some yr ago now.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have a retail SP3 version, have a SP3 download somewhere, need to find it. I'll redownload it, just in case, before I forget it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have the top one, I'll download the other now, thanks!

Reaction score
if yall like xp then check out win7 ultimate. i have win7 home premium and i like it.

Reaction score
if yall like xp then check out win7 ultimate. i have win7 home premium and i like it.
I'm not so clear as to your point as most here will be Win7 users anyway. If you mean to say if you like the W7 home then you'd like the ultimate it makes more sense but XP and any version of 7 are quite a lot different. So an XP user making the change to W7 will find it a learning curve irrespective of which version of W7 it is.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
m1r2hud, you don't have to go all the way to ultimate, Microsoft's Virtual PC - XP mode is actually available at the Professional level. And Virtual PC - XP mode will still be supported because it would be at SP3.

Basically Nibs is just reminding anyone that has XP (32) SP2 by itself, as a dual-boot w/ W7, or in a Virtual mode that does not get automatic updates, that they need to upgrade to SP3 to be under MS Support.

Reaction score
i use to have windows 2000 pro, then went with xp for years. in 2009 bought acer laptop with vista, vista was different in all aspects but was a lot easier to find files. had problems with three of acer software making changes tho. bought full version of win7 home. i like it alot more than xp. even like internet explorer 9. but i play games on pogo and people with xp are having problems with games loading and people on win7 dont.

Ask a Question