Driver scanner software

Reaction score
I´ve had some issue concerning my hardware drivers and today I´ve been testing out some of the programs that´s out there. Driver Max, Drive Checker, Uniblue Drive scanner and Drive Robot. They are all free to download and use for scanning, but when you want to use their driver updater you will have to buy a premium account.
The problem I see is that the scanning gives different results on different programs. Uniblue drive scanner that is approved by Microsoft said that all my drivers are up to date, so did Windows in Device manager. The rest said that 6-10 drives were outdated and when I downloaded one of the the recommended driver versions, manually, the install program said that I already had a newer version of the driver installed.
So what I´m asking if someone have a premium account and had a good result? I don´t want to pay $29 and get nothing out of it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with driver scanners - although some of them work ok, others will show things you don't need or older versions just to get you to pay for the software. It's best to do driver updates manually if you can :) They don't need to be updated very often, and the only one that you would often benefit from updating after the initial setup is the graphics card driver.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Updating "drivers" for your hard drives is bogus... Windows has the drivers built in, and they aren't really updated. Unless you use RAID or AHCI it is just not an issue.

Only thing such tools can do is report on the SMART attributes for your drives. Generally most tools don't give in depth examinations of these attributes and aren't really worth it either.

Personally I use the free program SpeedFan... you can use it to generate a webpage that gives you some infomation on your disks. If you still want more details after that, then you can google the info it gives you... Here's one example.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
SpeedFan is a great tool and not hard to use also it can reduce system noise, more info at its home site > http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php if your going to use SpeedFan to change any aspects of your system do check on your hardware manufactures tolerance parameters.

Ask a Question