Driver Max. Any feedback on using it.

Reaction score
I got a free down load to a program called Driver Max. It scans your system and finds driver updates. Has anyone used it? What is your experience with it.

Reaction score
Hey. You really want to stay away from these things. They can install weird drivers that can really mess up a system to where it can't boot. It can become very difficult to repair and that's if you really know what you're doing. Honestly.

For drivers, always visit the hardware manufacturer's websites, such as Realtek for most audio/lan, ATI/AMD or NVIDIA for video card, motherboard manufacturers for chipset, Logitech for most mice or keyboards...etc...you get the idea.

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll go with your advice. I let it run a scan, it found lots of outdated drivers but the only one I let it install was a basically safe mouse driver. Not game to try all the others.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Catilley is big fan of Driver Max.

There are some good driver checker programs out there.

As a matter of fact one is called: Driver Checker, which actually works quite well.

However, as TorrentG stated, there are a few which are basically worthless.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have not tried this particular product but I have never found one yet that was perfect. Sometimes it's the checker program that has the outdated drivers where you have the current ones. Sometimes it has generic and you have the manufacturers version.

If you have something not working, by all means try their driver for that particular item. But I have lost sound and even had to reboot in safe mode and restore from a checkpoint based on driver programs "recommendations".

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've used Driver Max on several occasions with my notebook, and friend's as well, I've had no problem with their service. But I can only speak for myself, and always check out all of your options on these services before doing anything. What may work for me may break your system. But it can be the other way around, too.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've used DriverMax and find it mostly ok in it's suggestions. My old computer only had a few outdated drivers (mouse and Lan I think) and they updated fine. On my new computer, though, it found quite a few out of date. One was a HD Sound driver that broke the HD Sound panel so a rollback was needed....so I'd say definately be careful and do only 1 update at a time to determine if anything 'breaks' before contuining.

Ask a Question