SOLVED "Downgrading To W 7

Reaction score
I just bought an HP Pavilion G7 2293with W 8 and cant stand the OS.
Can I buy W7 and just do a clean install?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You could try but the truth is you are likely to run into problems because HP never created Windows 7 drivers for that computer. This means some components might not be seen by W7 and if that is the case you might not get anything but basic video, maybe no networking (LAN and/or Wireless), no touchpad, etc ... whatever drivers that can't be supplied by the W7 default drivers wouldn't work. You might get lucky but it is a lot of work for a slim chance.

I know everything is a bit different in Win8 but the biggest difference is the Metro interface instead of the Start Menu. For my customers migrating from W7 I install the freeware Classic Shell (and actually I only install the Start Menu portion, not the changes to windows or internet explorer or the automatic updater) and the rest of their transition to Windows 8 seems to go quite smoothly. I would encourage you to give Windows 8 along with Classic Shell a try first. Note: Once installed there is even an option in the Classic Shell settings to bypass the metro window completely and go straight to the desktop on login if you wish.
ClassicShell.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.
I have been running this OS(8) for a month now and it isn't compatible with maybe half of my programs. That's what bugs me the most. And then they make it so you can't change to 7. I consider the downgrade is to W8!
I will stay with it because I don't really have a choice. I f I could go back and not buy a lap top with W8 in it, would I?
Yes. No doubt about it. Why change something that works so well.

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you can at least upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1, then to 8.1 Update1, all for nothing. That at least should behave better than 8.0. All that and TM's Classic Shell suggestion should make it even better.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you tell us the list of programs (please include the version #) which do not work?

Have you tried running them in compatibility mode?

Ask a Question