Document-icon on desktop moves after saving

Reaction score
I have an enormous mess of icons on my desktop. Not only that they jump around when I undock/dock my laptop to a bigger screen. They also seem to move when I restart sometimes. But the biggest problem so far is (I use the desktop to save documents and maps) that everytime I push the save button for a document - the document icon moves down to the left on my desktop. Together with the other "moving" problems I think you understand what a mess I have to deal with... And No I'm not going to change the way I work... Desktop should be perfect for docs...

Tried to edit the title. Title won't change! Should be: Document-icon on desktop moves after saving

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Marcosd!
Welcome to the forums!
Ok, so firstly, the computer will always try and put icons somewhere on the left, so that's normal.
To solve the problem of all the moving, try aligning the icons to a grid (right-click and it's in onebof the options). Also, try making the icons "small" (right-click, in one of the options).

Hope this helps, and please post back a result,
I'll ask Clifford to change the title. ;D
Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Are your icons auto arranged or aligned to the desktop? Right click a blank part of the desktop and choose view. See what's checked.

Have you thought about third party software for organization?

The excellent and free program Fences for instance.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/downloads.asp

Oops I see fire cat answered. Welcome back fc.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Are your icons auto arranged or aligned to the desktop? Right click a blank part of the desktop and choose view. See what's checked.

Have you thought about third party software for organization?

The excellent and free program Fences for instance.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/downloads.asp

Oops I see fire cat answered. Welcome back fc.

Hey yodap!
It's okay, it's best to have the advice of others, not just one.

FC makes me think of KFC... Lol.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for your answers. Of course your asking about my settings, I should have told you... The answer is that I have tried all sorts of settings. The one I use now which does not work is: Aligned to grid, No auto-align and I have small icons. I will try to upload an image of my settings. (swedish...:)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This is a common problem when screen resolution changes. There was a hotfix for Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961085
but I cannot find anything for 7, sorry.

There are some third-party options to restore icons. One article I saw was a poduct called Fences but I have no personal rxperience with these products. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reaction score
Hello and thanks!
I'm also logging into some version of Windows Server. I have an "extra-wide" resolution 1366x768. Maybe some of the problems relate to this article - But I don't think it covers the "save-document-icon-moves" problem.

Reaction score
Could you put folders on your desktop then just drop in the icons by catagory into those folders.
This is what I did and it tidied up my desktop immensely.

Mychael

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for your advice. That's what I've been doing, cleaning up my desktop and put everything in folders. Even program icons slips into folders. Do you think Windows 7 can handle 2 folders or should I go with one? :-D
Problem Not solved!

Ask a Question