SOLVED Disk Management question

Reaction score
I did a 2nd clean install of Windows 7 Professional x64 8 or 9 days ago. Now when I open up Disk Management at the top of the page it lists my D: hard drive first then my C: hard drive second. These are 2seperate hard drives not partitions.
Also, if I boot from the Windows DVD to go the the Repair your computer section for Startup Repair, System Restore, etc if I choose the Command Prompt option for say running check disk on my C; drive. It only works if I type the following : chkdsk /r e:.
There it's giving my C:\OS drive the E:\ letter instead. Strange.
When I did the 2nd clean install, I had it format the C: and the System Partition Windows creates. I then selected delete for both those unallocated partitions, which made the C: drive back to a single partitioned hard drive. I selected it for the installation option. Everything else works fine however.

Reaction score
Forgot the screenshot

Oops. I forgot to attach the Disk Management screenshot in the first post.
I did a 2nd clean install of Windows 7 Professional x64 8 or 9 days ago. Now when I open up Disk Management at the top of the page it lists my D: hard drive first then my C: hard drive second. These are 2seperate hard drives not partitions.
Also, if I boot from the Windows DVD to go the the Repair your computer section for Startup Repair, System Restore, etc if I choose the Command Prompt option for say running check disk on my C; drive. It only works if I type the following : chkdsk /r e:.
There it's giving my C:\OS drive the E:\ letter instead. Strange.
When I did the 2nd clean install, I had it format the C: and the System Partition Windows creates. I then selected delete for both those unallocated partitions, which made the C: drive back to a single partitioned hard drive. I selected it for the installation option. Everything else works fine however.

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Alphabetical order maybe? Did you name the C partition "OS"?

Reaction score
Yes to the naming it OS question. I tried right clicking both my drives in Disk Management. No options are presented for how thing in the windows get sorted. ie: No Alphabetical option is displayed.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I named mine {Main HDD} 7(C) Data(D) Elmers(E) {Second HDD} Recovery(R). And they appear in the correct order. What gets me though is that {Main HDD}(SATA) is Disk 1 and {Second HDD}(old IDE Drive) is Disk 0. Confused ?? :confused: I am!

Reaction score
D:'s Data on mine. I think the second clean install did something. I only reformatted the C: drive. I left the D; drive alone. I would've lost all Contacts, Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You may have to do a reinstall to rid yourself of the extra partition. It seems to occur in rare cases, but not for all. It is connected with new formatting and partitioning, immediately before a fresh install.

The created 100 MB (approx) partition is not the main boot partition. It is only used as a backup, mainly for the eventual possible use of Bit locker. If you do not intend to use BitLocker, the 100 MB partition can be prevented.
During the install, On the “Where do you want to install Windows?” screen of Windows 7 Setup, click on Drive options (advanced) and delete all the existing partitions and create a new partition.
The Windows install prompts with the following message:
"To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files". - Click OK
Two partitions will be created, your " System Reserved" partition and the planned primary type partition (Disk 0 Partition 2).
Delete the Primary Partition created.
When prompted that “The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you delete this partition, any data stored on it will be lost.” - Click OK
All disk space inside the partition deleted will now become unallocated space. Highlight the System Reserved Partition, and click Extend. Assign all the available disk space to the partition, and click Apply.
You will be prompted, again, with “Extending a partition is not a reversible action. If you proceed, you will not be able to undo this action later".
Highlight the extended System Reserved Partition, and click Format.
Once again you will be prompted with “The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you format this partition, any data stored on it will be lost.”

When you are finished, the originally "System Reserved Partition" will now become a normal system partition, ready to install Windows 7. Install Windows 7 in the normal way.
Nothing I have tried, but a third party autoboot disk partitioner could probably also be used to remove the "System" partition, but I would guess it could lead to a boot up and subsequenty required start up repair.

Reaction score
Think I'm going to leave it alone

I think I'm going to leave it alone. When I did the second clean install, as I stated I formatted C; and System Reserved Space, then deleted both, manually restarted pc and clicked on Advanced reclaim allocated space and did the clean install. The only place C; isn't before D: is in Disk Management. It's correct every where else as far as I can tell.
You may have to do a reinstall to rid yourself of the extra partition. It seems to occur in rare cases, but not for all. It is connected with new formatting and partitioning, immediately before a fresh install.

The created 100 MB (approx) partition is not the main boot partition. It is only used as a backup, mainly for the eventual possible use of Bit locker. If you do not intend to use BitLocker, the 100 MB partition can be prevented.
During the install, On the “Where do you want to install Windows?” screen of Windows 7 Setup, click on Drive options (advanced) and delete all the existing partitions and create a new partition.
The Windows install prompts with the following message:
"To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files". - Click OK
Two partitions will be created, your " System Reserved" partition and the planned primary type partition (Disk 0 Partition 2).
Delete the Primary Partition created.
When prompted that “The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you delete this partition, any data stored on it will be lost.” - Click OK
All disk space inside the partition deleted will now become unallocated space. Highlight the System Reserved Partition, and click Extend. Assign all the available disk space to the partition, and click Apply.
You will be prompted, again, with “Extending a partition is not a reversible action. If you proceed, you will not be able to undo this action later".
Highlight the extended System Reserved Partition, and click Format.
Once again you will be prompted with “The partition might contain recovery files, system files, or important software from your computer manufacturer. If you format this partition, any data stored on it will be lost.”

When you are finished, the originally "System Reserved Partition" will now become a normal system partition, ready to install Windows 7. Install Windows 7 in the normal way.
Nothing I have tried, but a third party autoboot disk partitioner could probably also be used to remove the "System" partition, but I would guess it could lead to a boot up and subsequenty required start up repair.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Great. I think my verbal diarrhoea covered what you found out yourself. Congrats.

Reaction score
Maybe

Next time, I'll unhook SATA cable from second internal hard drive. I'll get around to new clean install later on when there's more time.
Great. I think my verbal diarrhoea covered what you found out yourself. Congrats.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Strictly concerning the list order ...

The list is sorted alphabetically based on volume label. If you click the Volume box right above the list you can reverse the order. As it is not really important there is no sort by options beyond clicking the boxes above.

If it really annoys you, you could go to Windows Explorer and right-click to get the properties of C:, then in the General tab you could rename the Volume Label to "_OS" in which case "_" will come alphabetically before the "D" in Data.

Ask a Question