SOLVED Differences in SATA Cable fittings?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I am curious. Are there differences in the way SATA cable connectors fit onto the respective drives and motherboard sockets?

Even though I have yellow SATA cables with locking tabs, on the motherboard sockets they don't fit snug at all and if I'm working in the case and brush against or bump the cables, sometimes it causes disconnect even though the locking tab is engaged.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments, wisecracks, etc.??

I'll be looking online but in the meantime any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nibs :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
They should all connect the same, so it could be that the cables aren't manufactured to the same quality as others (it should be unlikely there are a problem with the headers on the motherboard). Perhaps the cable locking mechanism doesn't work as well as it should?

I've got some cheap red, non-locking SATA cables and they fit nice and snug. It may be worth swapping it with another cable and see if that solves the problem. :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with Ian. Some cables come from Hong Kong, whether the buyer knows it or not. Last night, I was looking for an "extension" of my SATA drive connector (power & data in one), so that I can easily swap drives temporarily, while I gather the cash for the proper setup. Some connectors ran for as little as $1.50, there was one seller who had 5 for $5. Now, that's just too cheap. I settled on one for $12.55 that looks thicker than those other ones.

Wires and cables, there's no telling where they come from, and worse yet, there appears to be a lack of standards as to the "thickness" of the wires & cables. This can really be a problem, whether it's in a computer case or an automobile. Bottlenecks, a phrase that I've read in the Hardware section of the forum, can be attributed to wiring, too. When you have an app that calls for 14 gauge wire, but 18 gauge is used, that can lead to problems.

I can't say 100% that this is your problem, but your wiring should maintain it's proper position for years, unless the unit takes a hard bump or whatever. But like everything else, there is plenty of low quality wiring (as well as plugs & connectors) on the market.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some male connections are smaller than others, my condolences to your wife ... err motherboard ;) ... Hey u asked 4 it!

In all seriousness, as much as you play with it, you probably wore them down (come to think of it, this works well as humor too)

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Some male connections are smaller than others, my condolences to your wife ... err motherboard ;) ... Hey u asked 4 it!

In all seriousness, as much as you play with it, you probably wore them down (come to think of it, this works well as humor too)
Oh TM... you are a sick man! LOL! :D Perhaps that why she divorced me 24 years ago! :eek:

@Ian - I did notice that some red cables I have do fit snugger in the mobo sockets versus the yellow ones with the locking latches.

@TM - Yes, I do play with it (my motherboard and computer), regarding anything referring to my anatomy I'll leave that be. I don't believe that maybe a maximum of 15-20 insertions and removals (SATA cables that is), would wear out the connections.

Tomorrow I'll swap out the cables and see what happens down the road.

@Catilly - you are correct in the fact that cables certainly do vary in quality and construction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have noticed that the connectors do vary from one brand or type versus others.

This is something I'll just muck around with and see what results I get.

Still, if anyone knows of any particular brand that works better I would be definitely interested.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Naff must be a British colloquialism, naff meaning "showy" ??

I have notice that some connectors are made of a hard plastic while others are made of a more resilient semi-hard material.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
They should all connect the same, so it could be that the cables aren't manufactured to the same quality as others (it should be unlikely there are a problem with the headers on the motherboard). Perhaps the cable locking mechanism doesn't work as well as it should?

I've got some cheap red, non-locking SATA cables and they fit nice and snug. It may be worth swapping it with another cable and see if that solves the problem. :)
I've had / do have problems were my PC starts acting weird. Ripping the side panel off and pushing in the (loose) SATA cables restores things back to normal. Moral? Get off my behind and get some "locking" SATA cables :eek:.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well I have found a temporary fix for now.

I did a little "shade tree" computer work and put some vinyl electrical tape around the base of the connector to have it make a more snug connection into the motherboard socket. I also pulled all the yellow cables with the locking tab feature and used red cables which seem to fit snugger to begin with.

So far, so good! Time will tell though.

@Veedaz - Naff, I like that that term... here in the American South we have a lot of sayings; one of them is: "I'm fixin' ta" which means getting ready, getting set, preparing for, etc.
Another popular expression is: All ya all.

Reaction score
I found a solution to those loose sata cables and it works. Teflon tape; one wrap around the connector and it's a snug fit. It's non conductive, thin and not to wide and in some places it comes in different colors. Though I like just the plane ole white and use a black marker to blend it in. Works great. Best of all it's only $.79 a roll and one roll goes a long way.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
That's a great suggestion! I assume you just time the excess off where it goes past the end of the connector, right?

Reaction score
I wouldn't say loose connections, but on the Gigabyte boards I use, you stick the L-shaped connector into the drive and the other end into the motherboard - it "clicks" into place and is semi-firm.

Ask a Question