Cyan Games (Myst, Riven, Exile)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've got the whole series of them still...I really must play these again sometime, It's been years

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
I beat Myst; it was easy, but Riven is really hard. I'm stuck in the beginning of Exile, and those are the only cyan games I have.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
From what I've read and from personal experience, Riven is the most difficult of the whole series. I highly encourage getting the last 2 in the series (Myst 4: Revelation and Myst 5: End of Ages) as well as the offshoot (Uru: Ages Beyond Myst - the standalone game).

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Ya Riven is definitely the hardest. I just need to uncover one more symbol(number one), then I will get really far. Or so I think...

Reaction score
I am trying to get these games to run on Win7 but am having trouble. Is there a way to do it? Or do I need a new version to make it happen?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I am trying to get these games to run on Win7 but am having trouble. Is there a way to do it? Or do I need a new version to make it happen?
The link in the first post of this thread leads to information about it. Seems that it ran in Vista and XP. It says "click here if you have no idea what I'm talking about", the link I'm referring to.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I have not tried these in my Win7 yet, have you tried to install using Compatibility Mode?

Reaction score
Thanks...will try...

Thanks for the help. I was not aware of the compatibility mode installation, so I will try that first. Will bring back any questions I might have.

Reaction score
I have not tried these in my Win7 yet, have you tried to install using Compatibility Mode?
draceena I've played through Myst and then moved on to Riven. I can't remember what all I tried at the time but couldn't seem to get Riven installed. If you don't mind, could you try and get Riven installed on your computer? If you can get it loaded, there must have been something I was not doing.

I think I should also mention my copy maybe an older copy. Its a 5CD set for Riven, not a DVD.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I don't know if Riven was ever released on DVD as my version is the multi-set like you mentioned. If you didn't know, there is a way to copy all the data off the CD's to your computer so that the game runs smoothly without the need to swap disks.

You copy the MHK files from the data directory on each of the CDs to the data directory of the installed application (eg: C:\Program Files\Riven\data)."

"Then edit the "riven.cfg" file in C:\Program Files\Riven so that in each section that looks like:

[ospit] Disc = 5
File_0 = "data/o_data.mhk"
File_1 = "data/o_sounds.mhk"

the "Disc" line reads Disc = 0

I'll dig out my copy and see if it works for me or not and post back.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Ok I'm back with some good news and some possible bad.

First the good!

At this moment I DO have Riven running in my Win7 64bit system!

Now for the possible bad....the best solution for people who have the 5 Disk version of the game is you will need to install the game in another version of Windows.

I did it using my Virtual Box and my copy of Windows XP that I installed to it awhile ago. Once the game was installed, I then had to patch the game. (This is the usual game patch). Then I just copied the whole Riven folder to my Program Files (x86) folder.

Once that is done, you need to grab a copy of the Unofficial Riven Vista Patch. It's a .zip file that you need to extract, then copy all the files in the Patch folder to your main Riven folder, then run the Patcher itself. It will need you to navigate to and select the Riven.exe which it should patch properly.

Next, in the Riven folder locate the Mohawk.w32 file and open it in a Text Editor. Locate the line: fEnableAudioProxy=true and change it to false

Last step is to right-click this new Riven.exe and edit the Compatibility and select Windows 98/ME Compatibility. Tick the Disable Visual Themes, Disable Desktop Composition, Disable Display Scaling on High DPI settings and finally tick the Run as Administrator

Ask a Question