SOLVED copying windows mail (not live) from one computer to another

Reaction score
on a win7/64 i have windows mail. works fine.
how do i put the software onto another win7/64 computer.?
i tried windowslive mail and it does not work right.
i assume cos my 4 email addresses are 'aliases'
so it makes an inbox etc for all email addresses.
and yes it copys all incoming email to ALL 4 inboxes.

so i want to go back to windows mail that happily works on the first computer.
how do i get it on the other computer. ( i would rather stay away from the registry!)
i have the TAKE OWNERSHIP software that is needed.
thanks all

Reaction score
Windows does not come with an email app, which leads to installing Windows Live Mail. Unless using Office Outlook, as far as I'm aware the only other option would be third party applications. So if you are not using Windows Live Mail, I'm lost as to which email application you are using.

Reaction score
well winmail IS an option on win7 !
Please clarify which email program you are now using in your Win 7 computer. Name please.
It cannot be called "windows mail" because..........

1. Windows Mail is the built-in email program for Vista.
2. Windows 7, as mentioned to you already, has no built-in email client (program). You have to install one manually.
3. Officially, Windows Mail is not supported by Windows 7.

There is a tutorial which will "tweak" Win 7 into accepting Windows Mail.

Are you presently using web-mail program called outlook.com ( formerly called Hotmail.com ) ?

Reaction score
There is a tutorial which will "tweak" Win 7 into accepting Windows Mail.

great where is it
thanks

Reaction score
I don't know if I am allowed to show you where or how.
Please google for it. It is not hard to find. There is a tutorial from another very reputable forum, but you need to be member first before you can access this particular tutorial.
Since it is another forum, I do not want to be blamed for luring members to a competitor.

Reaction score
I really wish you don't "regress" back to Windows Mail.
What's wrong with having 4 individual Inboxes?
Anyway, here is the how-to.................
Warning : do it at your own risk. Don't hold me to it.

First, you need to go to a Vista 64-bit computer>insert a flash drive > go to Computer > left click to select it > right click at it and click Open > go to Program Files ( NOT Program Files (x86) ) > scroll down to Windows Mail > copy the entire folder to the flash drive.

Now take the flash drive to your Win 7 64-bit computer > insert the flash drive > copy the Windows Mail folder to the desktop.

Now follow this you-tube tutorial.
*** make sure you go to Program Files, NOT Program Files(x86) ***

No offense intended. Please be careful going through the steps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
NOT 86! thanks looks like it might just work
thanks very much

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
NOTE this is OFF TOPIC:

david, just FYI, we prefer you link to our forum if the information is readily available here but if not, then pointing to another forum or site (for example I often reference How-to-geek articles) is perfectly acceptable if it answers the question. Links to freeware alternatives are also allowed. You can also mention paid software if it answers a specific question and you are familiar with its' use personally but not affiliated with the manufacturer/distributor/etc (or at least researched it and seems to be the best or only option).

Basically if you are here to help we recognize that. Others who are here to SPAM directly or work in teams to create fake questions and then SPAM paid software to answer ... well we recognize that too, and ban accordingly.

Reaction score
NOTE this is OFF TOPIC:

david, just FYI, we prefer you link to our forum if the information is readily available here but if not, then pointing to another forum or site (for example I often reference How-to-geek articles) is perfectly acceptable if it answers the question. Links to freeware alternatives are also allowed. You can also mention paid software if it answers a specific question and you are familiar with its' use personally but not affiliated with the manufacturer/distributor/etc (or at least researched it and seems to be the best or only option).

Basically if you are here to help we recognize that. Others who are here to SPAM directly or work in teams to create fake questions and then SPAM paid software to answer ... well we recognize that too, and ban accordingly.
Thank you.
RE : links to tutorials
I have maintained a large data base of tutorials. All indexed and alphabetized.
It has been my habit to go there whenever I need to post a tutorial. Simple copy and paste, quick and easy.
That is why I have not used the ones listed in this forum. ( It takes longer to find because the list is not alphabetized, and I might not find what I need.)

Last edited:

Ask a Question