Change Documents and Settings path

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm planning to install W7 on my family's computer and I would like to have the "Documents and Settings" folder in a separate partition so every user configuration and data is safe from future formats, something like /home in Linux. I know it is possible to change some of the folders inside the user folder (as "My music" path or "My Documents") but cannot find how to change the user folder's path itself.

Thanks.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I not 100% sure but I don't believe you can modify the location of the Users directory or the User folders inside it, only the folders inside the actual user's directory.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The "Documents and settings" Folder in Windows 7 (and Vista) is a virtual folder known as a "junction" folder. It is there for backward compatibility purposes and is inaccesible by the user. To attempt to alter the security leads to siome complcated issues and duplication of files. In the worst case this can only be resolved by a reinstall. By default, the folder, together with others having a similar function, is hidden.
As Kougar says, if you right clcik a folder under "username", if it is allowed, you will see an option to move the folder to another location.

Reaction score
That's too bad. The users folder is pretty big. and my ssd is only 64gb, yet I have 10tb free on my home server :(

Ask a Question