Can't connect to wireless at library; wireless switch off or bad wireless card??

Reaction score
I took my Toshiba laptop to the local public library this morning and could not get onto their WiFi system. I've only used it there with their WiFi a half a dozen times at the most. At home I use a Verizon 727 air card.

After trying to figure out what the problem was I got a dialog box that said:
1) "Wireless capacity is turned off".
2) "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken". (I'm not sure what that means.)

I don't know how to turn the wireless capacity on or off. How do I check that?

The library person who helps patrons with their computers said that the wireless card could be shot and may need to be replaced. Well, I just bought the computer in March 2010 and don't use it much since I have a MacBook I prefer, so I don't see how the wireless card could be bad.
====================================
Here's what my Toshiba looks like:

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop (Model: A505-S6033)
• Intel Core i7-720QM Processor, 6MB L3 cache and 1.8GHz processor (up to 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology)
• Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
• 4GB DDR3 memory (expandable to 8GB)
• Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support.
• 16" TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display. 1366 x 768 resolution.
• 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
• NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics
With 512MB GDDR3 discrete graphics memory and up to 1755MB dynamically allocated shared memory (2267MB total) using NVIDIA TurboCache technology. HDMI-CEC port.
• Harman/Kardon stereo speakers
With Dolby Sound Room support.
• Media control buttons
Include Toshiba eco utility, mute, media, CD/DVD controls, volume up and volume down.
• Built-in webcam and microphone.
• Multiformat media reader

• i.LINK (IEEE 1394) port and 3 USB 2.0 ports for digital data transfer and mobile digital imaging capabilities. 1 eSATA/USB combo port.
• Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
• Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
====================================

If I can't get the wireless to work I'm going to take it into Best Buy where I bought it. My one-year warranty has expired so I'll just have to pay for the replacement of the wireless card myself.

Any idea how much a new wireless card will cost, installed?? Is replacing the wireless card something I can do?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Problem solved!

The little WiFi switch on the front of the computer had gotten accidently turned off.

Ask a Question