Can't boot from CD drive

Reaction score
I am unable to boot from cd rom even though I have made changes in the bios to enable this, has anyone any ideas,.
thanks Dougdon

Reaction score
dougdon

problem not solved
but I think it is because I am unable to boot from cd rom , why this is I do not know.
Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just to confirm - the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot device in the BIOS (before the hard drive)?

What is it you are trying to boot from (the W7 install DVD for example), and does the PC attempt to read the disk at all?

Reaction score
Hello dougdon - Welcome to w7forums

Which changes in the BIOS have you made dougdon. I'm not trying to question your intelligence. If we know exactly what you have tried then we will know not to add it to the list for you to try.

Is it a retail CD\DVD that you are trying to Boot or is it a CD\DVD that you have burned to disk?

Ohh and next time could you add alittle details to your problem in the Thread header. Your name doesnt draw much attention. At first I thought this was an introduction instead of a computer problem

Reaction score
dougdon

I have made changes in the bios to boot from cd rom
But on the top line of the bios is the hard drive boot priority
and I cannot seem to change this, as it does not offer that option.
dougdon the disc I am trying to boot is a 64 bit windows 7 home premium from the latest release

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are your Harddrives and Optical drive listed separately. If so there should be a different option to boot optical drives first. I can't remember the exact wording.

Reaction score
I do not know if hard drives and optical drives are separate, I know it will not boot from cd rom , and Do not know how to make this happen.
Dougdon

Reaction score
Have you tried the other windows 7 DVD ? Also on my system I have to see a prompt that asks me press any key to boot from CD/DVD. While I was installing win7 this prompt happened so fast i missed it a few times.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I know on my computer that if I press the F8 key on the initial bootup that I'll get a selection of al lthe drives on my computer and can navigate/select which one I want to boot from, maybe you can check if you have that ability and can try to select the CD/DVD drive that way instead

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi dougdon

The Key you need to press should be shown to you at startup (black screen white writing) your looking for Boot Menu / F11 or Del etc.

Ask a Question