SOLVED BSODs during games blamed by ntoskrnl.exe

Shintaro

Reaction score
You could try to unset IRP Logging and I/O verification in Driver verifier. See if that will let you get to the login screen.

Reaction score
Well I did as you said and so far I've been logged in for an hour and a half running Verifier without a blue screen yet.
I'll post the minidump once I get one.

UPDATE: It's now been 31 hours running Verifier without a blue screen.

I was doing some research trying to find out any workarounds or help with the error code I recieved trying to run WDO, and I actually came across your post on a different forum.
I'm pretty certain it was regarding me (99% sure) but I noticed that you said "So it crashes when the user plays a game or browsing the internet." This isn't completely correct. I'm only getting blue screens while playing specific games (New Vegas is the worst) or running Verifier. Not while browsing the internet or running iTunes or anything else.

It's not a big deal or anything I just wanted to throw that out there if it helps rule anything out, and I'm guessing that's the reason why you told me to disable all my browser addons.

Thanks for your time and help with this. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright, so I turned off Verifier since it ran for about 34 hours without causing a blue screen. IRP Logging and I/O verification was turned off during that time period.
But go figure after I turn it off I go to play a game (Killing Floor) that I haven't had a blue screen with for at least a month now, and get a blue screen after 15 minutes of playing or so.

So here is the minidump, check my previous post if you haven't already since I added some information.

EDIT: Well I really don't get it considering after that blue screen, I rebooted and played Serious Sam 3 for 2 hours without any problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Are you able to change the crash dump capture to a full memory dump?
Are you able to zip it and upload it somewhere?

EDIT: Did you have all the Windows updates installed?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have all the updates that Windows can find, aside from Bing desktop which isn't important. I did notice that Windows installed a Saitek driver which I thought I had already installed myself.

I could switch to a full dump if you want, I would have to make a profile somewhere to upload the file though. Are there any websites that you reccomend to use?

Also, does this Device Manager screenshot look normal to you for only having one keyboard and mouse?

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
To be honest, if the problems are when playing games, I'm not sure there is anything that I can do. As it appears that the problems are that the Game developers. Have you looked on the particular game forums?

I am happy to look at the full crash dump, if you want to upload it to media fire.

EDIT: Actually I would be interested to anyway as it is an opportunity to learn more.

That Device manager looks ok, as far as I know it will appear in multiple spots if you put the device in different USB ports.

Something that I might suggest is that you use Sysinternals Autoruns to turn everything but the essentials off for games.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright I have a full dump uploaded here on mediafire.
There isn't a whole lot of information regarding specific games with blue screens, at least for Killing Floor although I haven't tried posting on any other forums about this.

Something that bugs me about this is that a friend of mine has almost the exact same computer, the only difference being a Intel 2550k processor and Intel socket motherboard which I believe is a Gigabyte like mine. Other than that he has the same HDDs in Raid 0, same GPU, plays most of the same games as I do and he has never had one blue screen.

I guess if it really comes down to it I'll send it back to the people that built it for them to figure out since it's still under warranty, just didn't want to be computerless for a month.

Whatever happens I want to thank you again for your devotion of time with this.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,
I'll have a look at that crash dump today.

If your hardware is pretty much the same then it has to be something with the software that you have installed.

Of course your other alternative is to re-install. But when you re-install the OS, only install the drivers for the hardware. None of the other garbage. For example utilities and the like. Driver downloads will be small as apposed to downloads with other garbage in them.

Reaction score
A reinstall had crossed my mind already, I really wanted to make sure that it wasn't a hardware issue first and now I'm quite sure that it isn't.

Whenever you end up getting through that full crash dump, please let me know if you find anything useful.

Thanks a lot Shintaro. :)

Shintaro

Reaction score
Something to look at and try, check the version of saimini.sys with your friend. If he has the same SAI controller.
SaiMini.sys Thu Jul 29 21:17:53 2010
Then uninstall the driver and see what happens.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Apparently there is a log for KF steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/system
killingfloor.log

What does that say

Reaction score
Should I do F7 and F8 before flashing to F9? I've never flashed a BIOS before.

I don't think that he has Saimini.sys because it seems to be connected to Saitek and he doesn't have any Saitek accesories.

I had no idea I was overclocking other than the GPU which is factory overclocked to 900mhz core clock. The CPU is supposed to be a 3.4Ghz processor or thats what AMD's website says.

The Killing Floor log appears to keep track of things that happen in the most recent session that was played, I'll attach it incase you want to take a look. I also found a dump file from Steam although I don't know if it will tell you anything.

I had a spontaneous shutdown earlier today as well when I was looking at printer options at the desktop. Not sure what went wrong but this happened once before while playing Killing Floor as well. I did hear a beep code which I looked up but I couldn't find any that matched what I heard. It sounded like a 2-1 code, short short (pause) long, it didn't repeat at all and the computer didn't try to reboot either. I can't recall what the other beep code sounded like before but that was right around when all these blue screens started happening, I want to say it sounded the same but there is no gurantee on that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just go to F9. Be careful and read their instruction.
The other thing I would do, is when your computer is off, remove the video card and then put it back in. Sometimes they creep out of the slots.

Shintaro

Reaction score
That beep code is to do with the Video card.
- If the video card has a fan, make sure it works.
- Try re-seating the card, remove it and put it back in.
- Try putting the video card in another slot.

Reaction score
The fan on the video card works fine, reseating it didn't change anything. I also tried going back to older gpu drivers that I know always worked but that didn't make a difference.

I got the BIOS to F9 successfully, although I did have to play around with some of the settings after since the Raid settings were reset. There is a small difference in boot time but it's a bit faster now. I still got 2 blue screens after this though, I'll include the dumps.

I can't use a different PCI-e slot though because the slot the video card is in is the only 16x slot on the motherbord, the other slot is only a 4x slot. I could try to borrow someone else's video card since I don't have any extras myself.

I'm pretty sure it's not temps since I keep track of them with MSI Afterburner and they never go above 70C which is far below what the max is from what I've read. One other thing is that the normal fan profile without running MSI is pretty bad considering I never heard the gpu fan speed up under load until I customized the fan settings.

Also, I couldn't find that specific driver saimini.sys to remove it, so I haven't done that yet.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

What were you doing when you got the crash?

Use Autoruns to disable SaiMini.sys http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902
Start Autoruns as administrator, select "Drivers" tab, uncheck the box next to SaiMini.sys. Reboot.

Are you using Gigabyte utils? They are know for causing problems. I would suggest that you remove them. You can check that they are removed by using the "Drivers" tab in Autoruns.
gdrv.sys Fri Mar 13 14:22:29 2009 (49B9D175)

Ask a Question