SOLVED BSODs during games blamed by ntoskrnl.exe

Shintaro

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

1/ Did you ever get BSOD's when you did not have any games installed?
2/ Have looked for Game updates?
3/ Is you graphics card on the "Compatable" list for your games?

Reaction score
Alright here are the most recent dmp files from about 15 minutes ago. One is from driver verifier and the other is from Fallout: New Vegas after playing for about 2 minutes.

I don't think a game compatibility list exists for this GPU. It really isnt that old of a card, maybe 16-18 months since it came out. I don't think its a compatibility issue since I didn't get blue screens right after i installed them.

I don't think there ever really was a time when it didn't have Steam installed with games on it, and I had to put quite a few hours on them before I started getting blue screens (I mentioned the playtime on them in my first post).

Also, as far as I know all my games have the latest updates since Steam automatically downloads and updates the games for you, in some cases forcing you to before letting you even run the games.

I'm used to spending lots of time trying to identify problems with computers, this isn't the first time I've had issues with a computer. I had an Acer that had lots of problems before, but I ended up just reinstalling Vista on it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,
Do you have another keyboard and mouse that you can try?

Reaction score
Here is another minidump file from New Vegas using a different keyboard and mouse this time.

Once again it was within less than 5 minutes of starting the game.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Just to let you know verifier was off on that last crash. Can you please turn it back on. But don't turn on Force Pending I/O Requests!
Sorry to be a pain.

BTW Post #23 points to HID.

Child-SP RetAddr : Args to Child : Call Site
nt!KeBugCheckEx
nt!VerifierBugCheckIfAppropriate+0x3c
nt!ViErrorFinishReport+0xda
nt!VfErrorReport1+0x63
nt!ViGenericVerifyIrpStackUpward+0x62
nt!VfMajorVerifyIrpStackUpward+0x91
nt!IovpCompleteRequest2+0xad
nt!IovpLocalCompletionRoutine+0x9d
nt!IopfCompleteRequest+0x341
nt!IovCompleteRequest+0x19f
nt!IopInvalidDeviceRequest+0x16
HIDCLASS!HidpIrpMajorDefault+0x8b
HIDCLASS!HidpMajorHandler+0xeb

nt!IovCallDriver+0x566
nt!ViFilterDispatchGeneric+0x62
nt!IovCallDriver+0x566
nt!VfIrpSendSynchronousIrp+0xe8
nt!VfWmiTestStartedPdoStack+0x72
nt!VfMajorTestStartedPdoStack+0x5f
nt!PpvUtilTestStartedPdoStack+0x12
nt!PipProcessStartPhase3+0x55c
nt!PipProcessDevNodeTree+0x264
nt!PiProcessStartSystemDevices+0x7c
nt!PnpDeviceActionWorker+0x302
nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x111
nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x5a
nt!KxStartSystemThread+0x16

Shintaro

Reaction score
My suggestions:

Crash it one more time, just to see if it is HID again.
Then, change your keyboard and mouse, then see if it will crash.

Reaction score
Ok here are the verifier files that you just asked for. The one with the earlier time on it was with the Saitek Keyboard and Razer Deathadder mouse.
The one with the later time on it was from the other keyboard and mouse I have.

I know that the other file I posted wasn't from Verifier I just wanted to see if changing the keyboard would make any difference on the game.

Also, don't worry about saying sorry. I have patience, that's the only way to fix things like this :)

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, so it has been suggested to me that you should:
1/ Uninstall this driver (SPTD.sys) using the _DuplexSecure SPTD Uninstaller Tool._
(http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads)
2/ Uninstall MS Anti-virus, then give the MS offline another go.

Was MS AV the only Av on your system or was there another one prior to MS AV?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, in your web browsers, turn off all the add-ins.

If you still getting crashes, please keep uploading them.

Thanks for you patience.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't even know I was running MS Anti-Virus to be truly honest. Since I got the computer I've been running ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 with Windows firewall.

What is MS AV listed under if at all in Programs and Features, because I don't see anything that could even relate to an antivirus program.

I uninstalled the driver as you said and turned off all of the few IE9 addons that I had, only Shockwave flash object and Java plugin.

I'm pretty sure I won't get a blue screen unless I really try to, either though Driver Verifier or playing a game that I know will give me a blue screen.

I really appreciate your time and effort with my problems, thanks again :). If it has any chance to yield helpful results than I'm willing to take the time to try it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry my mistake on the MS AV.

Are you able to remove ESET, then try to reboot for MS offline AV. I would feel happier if we could get a scan offline.
Do you have all the information to be able to re-install ESET?

In Driver Verifier, could you please make sure IRP Logging is checked.

EDIT: Could you also please ensure that only 3rd Party drivers are selected.

Cheers. Let us know how you go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll try those things the next time I get the chance to. I still have the ability to reinstall ESET if I uninstall it.

The only things that weren't checked in Driver Verifier were what was in the earlier post, Special Pool, Force Pending I/O Requests and Low Resources Simulation. Also, I'm absolutely sure no Microsoft drivers were loaded last time I was running Driver Verifier.

I'm not completely clear, do you want me to be running Verifier all the time? Last time I ran it I wasn't even able to login without a blue screen.

I'm clear that getting the offline scan is the priority here though.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Try to run verifier, the mini dumps that it produces makes it easier to find problems.
If it keeps crashing your PC at login let me know. And please include the mini dumps.

Yea, the offline scan is very important.

Reaction score
Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but before I rerun Verifier I want to know if it matters what keyboard and mouse I'm using.
Should I use my standard keyboard and mouse, the Saitek and Razer, or the other one that I have? Or does it even make a difference?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Not a problem, it is good to ask questions.
If you could use the standard keyboard and mouse, please.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, rereading my last post it seemed not very well written or clear. At least in my mind I made it sound like there were 3 options.
The Saitek keyboard and Razer mouse are my standard devices, so should I still use those or just my other cheap keyboard and mouse?

Sorry for the miscommunication here, I just want to do things right the first time so I don't have to do them again.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Not a problem, if you could use a normal keyboard and mouse, if possible. Are they USB or PS2?

Reaction score
They are all USB, my computer has no PS/2 ports on it, and I don't think I have any adapters to use one of those keyboards or mice.

Reaction score
Ok so far I've tried uninstalling ESET and running the Windows Defender offline scan, although I'm still recieving the same error message as before.
Windows Defender Offline cannot be started, unable to detect a windows system drive caused by missing drivers, encrypted drive or corrupted Windows installation. Error Code: 0x8004cc01.

I reinstalled ESET though, not very comfortable being connected to the internet without an AV program.

Haven't run Verifier again yet but I'll post the minidump files when I do.

Ask a Question