SOLVED BSOD on Installation of Windows 7 or Vista

Reaction score
HI,

I have a Dell XPS that was running Vista for about 5 years now. Somethings started acting up and I backed up my data and decided to start fresh.

However, I can't seem to get a new OS installed. I opted for Windows 7 and the installation runs fine until the computer restarts to finish the installation.

After the restart it flashes a BSOD relating to Kernel Inpage Error, or something similar to that. It flashes quickly and my computer restarts. Now that it restarts, I get an error stating that Windows didn't finish the installation and to retry.

I have tried re-installing the copy of Vista that came with the laptop only to have the same BSOD and installation error.

I would post a log or report but I don't have access to anything on the computer right now.

Is this hardware related?

Thanks

EDIT: It happened a third time. KERNAL DATA INPAGE ERROR
STOP 00000007A or something similar

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dell, among other manufacturers are famous for using the least expensive, lowest quality [read trash] components, including power supplies.

More than likely you have reached the end of life for your computer. You could take your power supply to a good computer shop and have them check it.

Note that almost all of your generation Dell computers use a propriatary power supply, not necessarily the dimensions, but location of power cable, on off switch, and so on, which requires cutting the case to use a new and normal power supply.

Failing or failed hardware components, even a single circuit, can cause great problems. Something as simple as a defective fan can destroy an entire computer. After being in the computer industry as long as I was, you see almost everything that can go wrong.

Computers should be simple, however, they are not.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! It turns out that in my panic I had failed to run a diagnostic on startup...something I should have done first. It revealed a failing hard drive. It's been replaced and I'm back in business.

Thanks

Reaction score
I am glad to have provided a little help, and hear you're problem is fixed. Thank you for the feedback.

Ask a Question