BSOD help

Reaction score
Hello.

I've been having BSOD's sometimes when I start a game or when I change the primary monitor. This started happening when I OC'd my RAM a few day ago. It was @ 667 but then I changed it to 800 without cranking up the voltage. At first, it responded quite well, but a few days ago my PC became unstable so I just decided to turn the RAM back to 667. Unfortunately, my problems persisted and I keep getting those annoying BSOD's every now and then.
I already ran memtest all night long and it encountered no errors.
I also updated all my drivers including my video card's.

Here are my specs:

Asus P5Q-E
Intel E7500
Radeon HD5850
2GB RAM @667

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey there...

Uninstall UltraMon to get rid of this driver. It's too old. You can try to update the software instead. Then check that this driver is July 2009 or newer, after:

Code:
UltraMonUtility UltraMonUtility.sys Thu Nov 13 20:10:30 2008
It's at C:\Windows\System32\drivers

----------

Another driver that is way too old is for your webcam. Please visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest driver for it:

Code:
 usbVM31b usbVM31b.sys Mon Sep 19 02:57:34 2005
----------

Daemon Tools and sptd.sys that it uses, are notorious for crashing Windows. Please uninstall Daemon Tools in the normal method. Then use the installer/uninstaller found here to remove sptd.sys from the system:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

I recommend PowerIso as the drive emulation is free forever and will not crash Windows.

http://www.PowerISO.com

----------

This driver needs to be updated for sure:

Code:
ASACPI   ASACPI.sys   Sun Mar 27 22:30:36 2005
To do so, visit the following link. Go to download, choose Vista 64 bit, click on Utilities. Download and install: "ATK0110 driver for WindowsXP/Vista/Win7 32&64-bit"

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=BnbKt78D3Oz4qtge&content=download

Don't worry about the board being slightly different. It's the same exact installer for all Asus boards.

-----------

Update your iTunes if there is a new version available.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Post a new crash dump if it becomes necessary.

Reaction score
OK... So I just:

- Uninstalled Ultramon (ATI Catalyst has a better built-in utility anyway)
- Uninstalled my webcam and its driver (great excuse to get rid of that old crap)
- Uninstalled Daemon Tools
- Updated the driver you mentioned

I did all those things one by one to see where the problem was coming from but I keep getting that BSOD.

I think the problem is really coming from the RAM because it always happens when I'm running multiple processes, just like last time (Firefox, Azureus and Windows Live Messenger). If I run a game or switch primary display as soon as I turn on my PC nothing happens, but if I try to do it when those processes are running the system crashes again.

Another curious thing I noticed is that when I start to play a Youtube video, the screen... flickers. It's really weird. And when I exit Firefox the screen flickers again. I don't even now if "flicker" is the right name for this, but something funny happens.

Also, I don't think all of this has anything to do with my video card, since I'm playing Just Cause 2 at max without a problem. The blue screen only comes when I start a game or change primary display.

Thanks for all your help, TorrentG :)

Here's the newest dump.

Attachments

Reaction score
Well, well, well...

Guess I just found out who our bad guy is...

--- Windows Live Messenger Beta --- is the name of the villain!

I stopped running it and had no more problems. I even ran Firefox, Azureus, Thunderbird, Windows Media Player, Wndows Explorer, Internet Explorer and Bioshock 2 (all at the same time) and everything worked perfectly! (until now).

Man... This WLM has some serious bugs. Well, it's called BETA for a reason! Tbh I don't even now if a new version has already arrived. Will check out now.

I'll let you know if my problem comes back.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
UltraMonUtil.sys is still on the system and is becoming unloaded on the crash. I would go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete it then reboot.

If you run into further problems, disable the CCC from starting with Windows. It is showing as part of the crash:

Code:
CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B

PROCESS_NAME:  CCC.exe

CURRENT_IRQL:  0
For good measure, run this command to ensure system file integrity, from an elevated command prompt:
Code:
sfc /scannow
You're welcome.

Ask a Question