Bluetooth not showing up

Reaction score
My bluetooth radio is not being detected by RC1. There is nothing about bluetooth in Device Manager and no unknown devices. For the beta (7000) I upgraded from Vista Home Basic. Everything went smoothly and I loved it. For RC1 I tried changing the version number in the cversion file but it still didn't work. I didn't fight with it and did a clean install. I had some other driver issues that I'll post in another thread but this is the one I can't seem to get past. Here are my computer details:

Dell Latitude 5400
Dell 370 Bluetooth Card

Dell does not offer a driver for this card. The have a Vista update that includes it but that update will not work with Windows 7. Drivers won't help anyway. As I said, Windows does not see it at all. If you need any further details just let me know.

Thanks.

Reaction score
First, I'm curious to know how you found that driver. I've searched the site and couldn't find it. The only thing I could find was a Vista update that dealt with it.

But, this wouldn't do any good anyway. It isn't showing up in Device Manager. If Windows can't see it then it won't install the driver.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just plugged in your model laptop into the US support site and that was listed in the driver section. :)

Have you checked in all of the device manager sub sections, as it should show up as something - even if it's an unknown device? As far as I know, the only thing that would stop it from appearing there is faulty hardware or something in the BIOS blocking it.

Reaction score
I still don't know how you found the driver. If I plug in my model number I get the following page:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...ystemID=LAT_E5400&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Under the Network section it has the Dell "Application" for the bluetooth but not the driver.

Anyway...doesn't matter. You found it. It does not show up anywhere in Device Manager. It should have it's own grouping. That is not there and I went through everything else looking for it and couldn't find it. The power light is on. If I disable it in bios the power light goes off. It was working just prior to this installation. I actually just wiped the computer. I'm going to try the Vista -> 7 RC1 upgrade path and see if that works.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, that's the same page I got. Click expand on "Network" it's the very last option that says "applies to... Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard" :) Good luck with the upgrade!

Reaction score
Hi,

My HP laptop details :
HP dv6t Core i3-370M 2.40GHz , Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor (2.40GHz) ,

While purchasing this HP d6vt laptop , i didn't checked/verified whether the laptop has "Bluetooth" facility or not , because just assumed that as bluetooth would be minimum for any new laptop these days..

So i got new wireless bluetooth mouse , BUT i'm un-able to use it.. becuase my new mouse was NOT recognized by laptop , not sure why :(

Can someone tell me why.. ?

Let me know if you want more details about my laptop

Thanks
Kiran

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Bluetooth is not a "given" on all new laptops. Yours had a choice.

HP Site said:
Networking
PC includes a network port for broadband Internet connectivity.

Choices:
Intel Wireless-N Card
Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
If you didn't pay for bluetooth then you don't have it. You can buy a simple USB plug for bluetooth access for around US$5 on eBay.

Reaction score
What he said... He beat me to it. Most laptops will not include Bluetooth. It is much more popular on netbooks than on full size laptops but it is still only on the more expensive models.

Here is a link to the best deal I could find on NewEgg for a BT adapter (I'm not a fan of eBay):

IOGEAR BT Adapter At NewEgg

Reaction score
By the way... This thread is nearly 2 years old. You should start your own new thread when one has been dead that long.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I agree Newegg is less of a risk. I had one of the cheap ones off eBay and the laptop would "loose" the driver so newegg offered one on sale and I ended up buying last December

IOGEAR GBU421W6 Bluetooth 2.1 USB Micro Adapter

(slightly more expensive version of the one trippb mentioned) and so far it has worked flawlessly. I would have to say it's been worth it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I did answer your question kiran.

Bluetooth is an option available for your laptop but is not a given, so if you didn't buy it with bluetooth then it doesn't have it.

Reaction score
You mean that my laptop doesn't have "bluetooth" facility ? And i purchased the laptop which doesnt have bluetooth option ?

You mean this ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You mean that my laptop doesn't have "bluetooth" facility ? And i purchased the laptop which doesnt have bluetooth option ?

You mean this ?
Maybe.

It can be bought with bluetooth.
It can be bought without bluetooth.

Did you order bluetooth when you bought it?

Reaction score
No..

I didnt checked whether the laptop contains bluetooth option or not before purchasing it..

I guess you may be right like the laptop doesnt contain bluetooth itself :(

Now do i have any other way of enabling/installing bluetooth stuff in my laptop .. or no way of using bluetooth here after ..

any idea ??

Thanks
Kiran

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Buy a USB Bluetooth Device. When you plug it in to a USB port it adds Bluetooth functionality.
BT.jpg

Ask a Question