Blocky VLC Video

Reaction score
I use the VLC media player for most of my video files, but the playback seems to be blocky now (kind of like pixelated). It works fine on my Vista machine, so I know it's not the video files.

Anyone else had this?

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Have you tried updating flash? I think VLC uses flash but I might be wrong...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
VLC media player sometimes does this for me, but it goes after a few seconds. Perhaps try downloading a codec pack for the normal Windows Media player?

Reaction score
I tried upgrading my version of Flash, but that didn't work. Thanks anyway to both of you!

Using wmplayer2.exe now to play video files, it's old, but very simple and works!

Reaction score
My buddy told me it was because WMVs were shit, which I definately believe since this always only happens with WMVs.

I get blocky video if I skip around through the movie. It's because it buffers differently or something. Wasn't built for skipping around.

Reaction score
blocky video ? here windows has blocked vlc plugin so i cant watch ip tv ( says its been blocked coz she cud not check the publisher )

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
blocky video ? here windows has blocked vlc plugin so i cant watch ip tv ( says its been blocked coz she cud not check the publisher )
"Blocky video" means as in pixelated or distorted (so the image looks like it's made of medium sized squares), not as in blocked or prohibited :)

Reaction score
try downloading the newest version.

check other videos see if you get the same results, if so, then it's your video card/CPU/Memory.

in this case, try ending task on every process to see if something is eating your system peformance.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hey Wippet, thanks for the post! This is a known bug in VLC that still exists in today's 1.0.2 version, when used on Windows 7.

I applied your fix and it indeed fixes the pixelation and image quality issues. I have been using Media Player Classic before this... after applying the fix the video playback quality is much better. Compared against MPC, VLC now seems to render scenes a little more sharply, but the colors are a touch oversatuated. I'll have to test this on some other videos. :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've been using GOM Player on my Windows 7 and it seems to handle all my video files really well.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Wippet, I'll give this a go on my VLC player now. :) Welcome to the forums :ciao:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I use the LC media player for most of my video files, but the playback seems to be blocky now (kind of like pix elated). It works fine on my Vista machine, so I know it's not the video files.

Anyone else had this?
Been using VLC from the first day of RC not noticed any problems ... as yet.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Been using VLC from the first day of RC not noticed any problems ... as yet.
It might be a VLC issue with how it handles NVIDIA cards, since it's the GPU that offloads some of the processing to reduce aliasing and sharpen the image. It's a little odd the problem hadn't been resolved with a new VLC release if the fix is as easy as defaulting to OpenGL to process video with.

Thanks again for pointing out the fix Wippet83. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Kougar
I'm using ATI Radeon HD 4890`s, RC1 and VLC media player 1.0.2, play quite a few formats thankfully with no pixelation. Recently i have used XtoDVD to convert to PAL to view on Plasma Television, picture quality is outstanding !.

Ask a Question