Best anti virus for 64-Bit Windows 7 OS

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
TorrentG - I checked out those two threads to the other site you're a member of... me too.

One question, your recommendations always seem to be to get rid of the AV program and go to MSE. Is this ALWAYS the case with BSOD, it seems there can be other reasons too.

I have had virtually no BSOD using G DATA IS. I had one when my system when complete crash a few weeks ago, but I think that was due to two different brands of RAM on the mobo.

When I was dabbling with ESET, I had no problems with it at all.

I am just curious about all of this and if you have some helpful info about WHY these AV programs are causing all the BSODs I would appreciate it.

As yodap states: "May I get this before supper?" LOL!

Really though, some insight on your part would be helpful.

Reaction score
Of course there are other reasons for bsod. Mostly due to sptd.sys, network adapter drivers or simply pre-RTM drivers in use. These are usually clearly specified but not always.

Antivirus is one of the leading causes for bsod because it works at a low level, always analyzing constantly, therefore it is in a great position to do so...and does.

As per my example with my perfect track record with Kaspersky, others have not been so fortunate with their setup and/or hardware.

You could search the net forever and honestly, there is no greater expert on bsod analysis and almost every other modern computing topic as H2S04 is. Pure brilliance.

Here are some of his posts followed by one of my own (click on the top right thread link to see whole threads involved):

http://www.sevenforums.com/356113-post4.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/365204-post2.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/316105-post3.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/354223-post10.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/31078-win7-ultimate-retail-bsod.html#post328162

http://www.sevenforums.com/372605-post26.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/348089-post2.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/297261-post2.html

Simply put, if there is no obvious reason for crashes, then antivirus and/or firewall (security apps) are the first thing to look at before doing anything else, unless it is MSE.

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
My wife has used MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials on her desktop computer for the last 6 months and no BSOD as yet.

Wifes PC Spec

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Ready Modular Power Supply
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
CPU : Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156)
RAM : Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
GPU : ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Optical Drive : LiteOn IHAS324-32 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
My wife has used MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials on her desktop computer for the last 6 months and no BSOD as yet.

Wifes PC Spec

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Ready Modular Power Supply
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
CPU : Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156)
RAM : Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
GPU : ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Optical Drive : LiteOn IHAS324-32 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
V - Looks like your wife has a smart little setup there. I'm envious... a little.

As us men know all to well, it's best to take good care of the feminine side of the species, promotes harmony to say the least! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Microsoft Security Essentials is good for me. Norton Gaming Edition is also pretty light and good protection.

Reaction score
I have to agree with you Cat. I've had negative experiences with AVG as well (not catching viruses) but to each his own.
I agree also cat,draceena AVG free lets you down,Avast free lets you down Norton's 360 $300 USD 4 year licence Lets you down,I have found many times fixing other friends PC's it's not the tools here fellas its the operator you see all of their AV software & firewalls were not CONFIGURED so of course they will let us down.I have to give credit when it's due,Avast professional has been on my XP laptop for seven years before that it protected Win Me it did a fine Job at keeping my computer safe.

respectfully
Jeffrey JOB

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I have found many times fixing other friends PC's it's not the tools here fellas its the operator you see all of their AV software & firewalls were not CONFIGURED so of course they will let us down.
Jeffrey - that is one of the absolute BEST statements I have read on this forum regarding the use of firewalls and AV software. The operator must configure it sometimes to get it to work as THEY wish!

Most people assume that after the program is installed that everything will be hunky dory and they can just "cruise on down the road" so to speak.

Thank You! The post is very relevant and true!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree also cat,draceena AVG free lets you down,Avast free lets you down Norton's 360 $300 USD 4 year licence Lets you down,I have found many times fixing other friends PC's it's not the tools here fellas its the operator you see all of their AV software & firewalls were not CONFIGURED so of course they will let us down.I have to give credit when it's due,Avast professional has been on my XP laptop for seven years before that it protected Win Me it did a fine Job at keeping my computer safe.

respectfully
Jeffrey JOB
Very true, Jeffrey. I used Avast Free for over two years, and didn't have problems with it. Like you, I did configure my install of Avast.

Many of the regulars around here knows that I'm a security freak, and that includes setting the controls on my AV protection. With Avast, I simply set everything to max protection, and though I had a few false alarms, I'd prefer to know it's working rather than sleeping.

With MSE, you don't have as much choice, but one area you do have to choose from is the default options of problems that's found. You have four levels, severe, high, medium, and low alert items. The top three (severe, high, medium), I have it set to remove the item in question. Low alert items are quarantined. You also have the choice to create a restore point & scan removable media (they are unchecked by default). I check both. You can also set it to do a scan at your convenience, I do a full one a 1AM daily, it doesn't get in my way at all.

So, contrary to a lot of beliefs, you do have choice with MSE, it's just that most of the work is done for you. And, like any other AV, a daily update isn't a bad idea, as it will always download a new definition every day, if only you check.

Cat

Reaction score
Jeffrey - that is one of the absolute BEST statements I have read on this forum regarding the use of firewalls and AV software. The operator must configure it sometimes to get it to work as THEY wish!

Most people assume that after the program is installed that everything will be hunky dory and they can just "cruise on down the road" so to speak.

Thank You! The post is very relevant and true!
Nibs,thankx m8 your comment back to me makes all the effort very worth while if we all did some real configuring we all would be better off (security wise)remember it's better to be safe,than Sorry :D

Respectfully
jeff

Ask a Question