Best anti virus for 64-Bit Windows 7 OS

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thrax is correct! AVIRA is an awesome AV and IS program.

A little more interactive than some, but not much. Also catches the nasties really fast.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi syamprasad4a4

You may like to consider a layered security as no one Anti Virus application will detect 100% of possible infections, but with one Anti Virus application running from startup and one or two security applications available as (on demand) you will increase the odds of keeping your system clean. Do be careful not to have two or more Anti Virus applications running from startup as this may cause problems and is not advisable. Example - on one of my Computers I have Microsoft Security Essentials running from startup and Malwarebytes (free) as an on demand scanner with the idea what one may miss the other may detect. I have used layered security for many years and it works.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Avira (free version) does not scan emails. An AV that doesn't scan emails is about as good as a dog that won't bark to alert you that someone's around.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Avira (free version) does not scan emails. An AV that doesn't scan emails is about as good as a dog that won't bark to alert you that someone's around.
I quit using "free" version AV software years ago. It just doesn't fit the bill for most peoples needs. Plus I don't like the annoying popups.

One can get a free 3 month AVIRA Premium Security Suite license via email, then download the software from the website. Later on, they can just use a different email to extend the usage.

Just do a web search for the link to the 3 month free license key at Avira's website.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I quit using "free" version AV software years ago. It just doesn't fit the bill for most peoples needs. Plus I don't like the annoying popups.

One can get a free 3 month AVIRA Premium Security Suite license via email, then download the software from the website. Later on, they can just use a different email to extend the usage.

Just do a web search for the link to the 3 month free license key at Avira's website.
MSE doesn't try to force anything extra on you, and it's highly effective. You shouldn't have to pay a cent for quality anti-virus.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
The young at School, Unemployed, Pensioners, Disabled - who have to survive on Benefit just to name a few who cant afford retail Anti Virus this is were Freeware Anti Virus and other applications come in (eg) CCLeaner one of the best Freeware applications ever built !, and i do like the new Avast Free its fetcher rich and looks :cool:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The OP asked for opinion on the best AV for Windows 7 X64, didn't he?

Thrax and I gave our opinions. Then someone mentioned issues with free Avira and now the thread has devolved into this and that, etc.

I'm outta here!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I would say the best AV for Windows 7 x64 for someone who could not afford a Retail AV would be a Freeware AV.

Covering the spectrum of users :)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I make a point of not recommending AV products anymore. People tend to ask what I think is the "best" AV product, and my answer can only be subjective. Not only that, but I do not advocate "free" AV products, which ultimately means that whenever I do recommend something, it's a commercial product, at which point many individuals crawl out of the woodwork to proclaim that XY and YX are "better" because they're "free," and that they must be working because these people haven't had any viruses [found] on their PCs. It's like someone telling me Linux is better than Windows "because it's free."

As for those who think free AV work just as well as commercial ones because they haven't found anything on your system... Here's a rock. Looks like a plain old rock, but it's a lion repellent. Don't believe me? Do you see any lions around?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What smart user actually uses the gaping security hole that is a desktop email client?
One of the best statements regarding email security!

I always go to my email through the browser only. More secure for sure.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score

Thrax and I gave our opinions. Then someone mentioned issues with free Avira and now the thread has devolved into this and that, etc.

I'm outta here!
In order to give the OP an opinion, you must give some details, especially what doesn't work. I mean it's like anything else you consider acquiring, whether purchased or free. The first thing I want to know is "what doesn't work properly?". That's was the reason for telling about the email deal, to warn the OP. This was not meant to turn the thread into mine, but to enhance it by stating what doesn't work.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score

I'm outta here!
Why welcome to the forums!

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Since I can only say what I like and use and can't comment on every anti-virus program out there (and I would guess most everyone is in this same boat), then the next best thing is to look at a few unbiased reports on which anti-virus programs are rated highest and work from there.

From the few I've seen, the list usually has paid and free programs listed and some of the free are pretty highly ranked so I personally think it unfair to write off all free anti virus programs and just as unfair to say that all paid programs are perfect.

Ask a Question