Base System Device - no driver

Reaction score
#1 I haven't a clue what "Base System Device" is... but device manager reports that there is no driver installed and Windows cannot install it automatically

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and Google is getting nothing when I search "Base System Device"

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this listed in Device Manager under the "system devices" section? What OS do you have W7 32-bit?

All the issues you are having: recycle bin refusing to empty, flash drive disappearing, files disappearing ... please make sure you run a full system a/v scan before you post more. Also please tell us what version W7 you have and bit-size. Based on fact I only see 32-bit Vista drivers for that laptop I assume you have 32-bit but it would be nice if you could confirm that.

Reaction score
Is this listed in Device Manager under the "system devices" section? What OS do you have W7 32-bit?

All the issues you are having: recycle bin refusing to empty, flash drive disappearing, files disappearing ... please make sure you run a full system a/v scan before you post more. Also please tell us what version W7 you have and bit-size. Based on fact I only see 32-bit Vista drivers for that laptop I assume you have 32-bit but it would be nice if you could confirm that.
Windows 7 32-bit... MSSecurity Essentials IS a full system scan!!! I see it scanning the System files a lot!!! and scans every three days!!!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Can you get a screen capture of what you are seeing?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The scan every 3 days ... that would likely be a full scan, which is good. And the normal scanning, that means it's an active scan, which is also good.

But as I said, no A/V is perfect. And once a virus is in your machine it can easily hide itself from your A/V. MBAM is free (the passive version I mentioned) so it costs you nothing to download & install. Then, as mentioned, it should be run in safe mode (because some viruses don't function well in safe mode). If you wanted to be even safer you could download RKILL (also in the Freeware DB, near the bottom under virus removal).. Then what you would do is install MBAM (RKILL is not installed), reboot into safe mode, run RKILL and then, when that finishes, run a full MBAM scan. Better safe then sorry.

Your problems could also be something as simple as your hard drive dying. Often times hard drives don't just die suddenly, they can just start going bad. What happens is they get bad sectors that no longer properly hold a charge; in which case any data/drivers/programs in that sector could be lost.

You can drop to a command prompt and run SFC /scannow to verify your protected system files are correct.

You can run CHKDSK /r and have it scan the hard drive on next boot to look for hard drive problems.

We're just trying to help you here. We can't see your computer and we simply are trying to eliminate the most likely causes.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Simply put, your missing a driver for some hardware that you have.
Have you added hardware that doesn't work?
Have you downloaded and installed all the drivers from Dell for the Inspiron 1525?

I would guess, as I cannot see your computer, that it is specific to Dell hardware.

Was it always like this? OR did you do a re-install lately?

Reaction score
Simply put, your missing a driver for some hardware that you have.
Have you added hardware that doesn't work?
Have you downloaded and installed all the drivers from Dell for the Inspiron 1525?

I would guess, as I cannot see your computer, that it is specific to Dell hardware.

Was it always like this? OR did you do a re-install lately?

ever since I took off Vista and put on Windows 7, it has been like this!!! how am I supposed to get drivers if I have NO CLUE to what it is and searching it on Dell brings up nothing!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The truth is, if everything is working then you probably don't need it. It could be for bluetooth and if you aren't using bluetooth then you would never notice. Or for a wi-fi NIC but if you are hard-wired you wouldn't notice. So it would help if you noticed something wasn't working and if everything is working that you use, then it's not necessarily a big deal that/those driver(s) are missing.

But anyway, I have an idea but it's not one I recommend to most people. There is a program that looks for out-dated or missing drivers. Unfortunately, it is not perfect and can actually make it so your computer will not boot; however it can be used relatively safely if you follow some simple guidelines.

1. Download and install Device Doctor 2.0
2. Create a Restore Point (type Restore Point into Start-search)
3. Run Device Doctor and if it finds any drivers allow it to download ONE driver and install it.
4. Reboot and verify your system is working.
5a. If it is working, Go back to step 2 (create another restore point) as long as there are drivers.
5b. If it doesn't work then ...
- boot to safe mode
- restore from the restore point
- Reboot and go to step 3 but skip over the driver that did not work

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
ever since I took off Vista and put on Windows 7, it has been like this!!! how am I supposed to get drivers if I have NO CLUE to what it is and searching it on Dell brings up nothing!!!
Since this was an upgrade from Vista, does Dell offer Windows 7 drivers for this machine?

I'll repeat my earlier suggestion, you can install every single driver they offer for your specific machine and see which one fixes it. You can even install Vista drivers if they do not offer Windows 7 drivers, however I wouldn't recommend it. As TrainableMan has said, since everything you use works fine, then the driver doesn't go to anything that you are using and probably isn't needed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I looked up the Dell Inspiron 1525 and there are only Vista 32-bit drivers, that's why I asked before if he could confirm it was a 32-bit install, because I knew there weren't 64-bit drivers.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Ah, didn't catch you'd looked it up already! 32bit drivers will still work on a 64bit OS though, so it still oughta work even if it won't be optimal.

Reaction score
The base system driver is just nothing.
I had a problem with XP (and still has).The device manager says there is no driver installed for PCI Modem.But there in no PCI Modem !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question