SOLVED Adding a second processor?

Reaction score
My laptop computer is a gaming laptop, but it's not the best. It has an i5 Intel processor, and 4GB of RAM, which are fine for most of what I do, but I'd like to know If I can add a second processor. I occasionally edit some 1080i video clips, and render them down to 720p quality. when editing, the preview is very choppy, and rendering takes forever.

I've opened up the task manager when I do both of these things, and my RAM's being used at a solid 2.7 GB, but my processor is maxed out.

Is my laptop compatible with any motherboard with 2 processor slots? My current motherboard is only listed as "PEGATRON CORPORATION G60JX (Socket 989)" but I'm not sure what that means, because of the lack of a part or model number.

Or would upgrading to an i7 be better? I've compared clock speeds, and there isn't much difference between them. is there something that makes the i7 work better at lower speeds?

Thanks for your time.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Keboose - there are no dual CPU motherboards available for a notebook computer that I'm aware of. Since mulit-core processors came out, there really is no need for them.

Your Intel i5 430M cpu is a dual-core with 4 threads available.

Yes your processor will be maxed out, rendering video files in one of the most CPU intensive tasks there is. Notice you still have RAM in reserve, so therefore the system is not maxed out in that regard.

You could upgrade to an Intel Core i7 620M/720QM Processor, but it's still dual core but a little bit faster on the clock speed. Even with a new CPU it would still run at near 100% while doing the rendering. It's more of a software issue rather than a hardware issue to be honest with you.

You would be better off probably to get a 7200 RPM 2.5" hard drive, preferably a Western Digital Black Scorpio or a Samsung F3. That would speed things up a little for you but again your CPU will still be running at a fast clip.

You have an excellent notebook by the way. Be happy with what you have.

If you truly want or need to do lots of video file rendering, then going with a desktop is really the only solution in my opinion.

Reaction score
Thanks, it seems that the home edition of Sony Vegas is better suited for editing hand-held camera footage than 1080i video game recordings. Do you know any good software for that?

And I guess this belongs in the software section, now.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No, not really, it's all good an we can keep the thread as is.

Try Danuisoft Video Converter, it's pretty decent.

So is Corel Digital Studio 2010.

Sony Vegas Pro is good stuff too, and expensive! So is Adobe's video editing software.

Reaction score
I have the most basic edition of Vegas, which is 45 bucks, so no real loss there.

I'm downloading the trial of Corel Digital Studio Pro X3, because it looks promising, saying that it supports GPU acceleration, and explicitly states that it supports HD editing.

Reaction score
I actually just discovered something: the MP4's I was recording were incompatible with VideoStudio. I read that I can fix that by changing the extension from MP4 to MOV, and that worked, but the playback is just as choppy as Sony Vegas, and I realized that, while looking through the effects, VideoStudio doesn't even have effects I would find useful.

But besides that, I tried re-recording the video in the MT2S format, and now there is no lag at all in either program, so I'm sticking with Sony.

Thanks for the info, though.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Whatever works for you and suits your purposes is what's best for you.

Glad to see you got it working!

Ask a Question