SOLVED ActiveX Is Hounding Me

Reaction score
No matter how benign the web sites or where I go using IE 8 in Win 7 64 bit I get the message "An ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts of the page. Do you want to allow this interaction?" I always answer yes and proceed without any problems. How can I stop all these messages? ActiveX error messages started occurring immediately after a major crash of my system a while back, and somehow, I don't remember how, I managed to get rid of them. Now the message above occurs constantly. How should I proceed with ActiveX?

Reaction score
Hello Budge, welcome to the Windows 7 forum.

To adjust ActiveX settings in IE 8 and prevent the constant popup alerts, go to ..

Tools tab
Internet Options
Security tab
Custom level button

Under the "ActiveX controls and plug-ins" section - change these settings:

Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls - disable
Download signed ActiveX controls - enable
Only allow approved domains to use ActiveX without prompt - disable

Doing that should alleviate the constant ActiveX security alerts, which can be very annoying.

Also, keep these ActiveX settings as follows, as they will protect your system ..

Allow Scriptlets - enable
Binary and script behaviors - enable
Allow previously unused ActiveX controls to run without prompt - disable
Download unsigned ActiveX controls - prompt
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting - disable
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins - enable
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting - enable

Click OK and Apply and OK. Restart the browser.

Here's a link with screenshots that walks you through the basic process ..

How to enable ActiveX Controls in Microsoft Internet Explorer

By applying these settings changes, it should alleviate most if not all of your ActiveX issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank You

Thank you so much. You guys are absolutely amazing. Just one more thing. I got directions for this, but I still can't seem to locate the area where I'm supposed to indicate the problem is solved and say thanks (which I've just done, but say thank you somewhere else, I think). BTW, I've never seen such an beautiful elaborate message board on the net. With all the options for writing and replying to messages, it's like composing theses in Word 2010!

Reaction score
Thank you so much. You guys are absolutely amazing. Just one more thing. I got directions for this, but I still can't seem to locate the area where I'm supposed to indicate the problem is solved and say thanks (which I've just done, but say thank you somewhere else, I think). BTW, I've never seen such an beautiful elaborate message board on the net. With all the options for writing and replying to messages, it's like composing theses in Word 2010!
Glad I could help. Just click on the green "Thanks" button at the lower right corner of my post. That is always appreciated. You were probably referring to the comment you saw when you created the thread .. "You can also add to a users reputation by clicking the "Thanks" button on a helpful post."

Also, if you look at the upper left corner of this thread, you will see a green check mark, indicating that the thread has been solved.

This is a very well run forum with a lot of friendly and knowledgeable members. You can learn a lot here.

Last edited:

Ask a Question