A great tool (PSR) so W7 experts can help you

Reaction score
A Must Read
Windows 7 Problem Steps Recorder or PSR by Britec

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]2Rz4JMPf6jM[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - Windows 7 Problem Steps Recorder or PSR by Britec[/ame]

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/windows7-psr-problem-steps-recorder-tool.aspx
Problem Steps Recorder is a new miracle tool in Windows 7 for especially help desk or support engineers as well as software developers which will make it easier to receive a bug or problem ticket in much more detail. So developers will be enable to reproduce the steps that is causing an error with PSR Windows 7 recoring screen tool. Support engineers or help desk responsibles will be able to visualize and catch the problem among all other related issues to solve the situation.

So what is this miracle tool, Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) Windows 7 introduced with new version (since early beta versions) of Windows 7.

Problem Steps Recorder PSR Windows 7 can record what the user is doing on his/her computer. Problem Steps Recorder - PSR captures screen and can be assumed as a recording screen Windows7 tool. The user can enter comments on any screen capture to identify the situation with own words additional to what is seen on the screen capture.

If you have downloaded the public available beta realease or the Windows RC release of Windows Seven, and installed Windows 7 on a computer, go on and give a try simply by typing "psr" on the Windows 7 Start Menu.
psr.exe is the executable file of the Problems Steps Recorder. Problem Steps Recorder download is not a seperate download than Windows 7 installer.

Reaction score
The forum needs to implement where we can upload them here. Wouldn't everyone agree ?

Reaction score
I would agree, it would have to in the software forum as this program is meant to show the steps or replicate the steps a user took that created a software crash or problem

Reaction score
They definitely need to add it to the forum here. After all, it would make solving people's issues alot faster and easier.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have for long thought that Microsoft could do themselves a favour by making some of the so-called hidden tools unhidden.
It is surprising what you can find if you try a few of the .exes that are sitting in Windows /System32

For example, I found credwiz.exe,which will backup and restore both usernames and passwords in an encrypted form.
Also, try PrintBrmUi.exe . With this you import and export your printer queue.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I think it would be an excellent idea to have it as a program within the forum, as it could resolve many issues, in a prompt manner. Some threads receive no answers, not because we don't want to answer them, but either no one has a solution of offer, or the OP didn't take the time to explain properly.

I've seen threads started, the words were few and garbled, we have to have details to work with.

It also may be helpful to those who have unanswered posts, that haven't been solved yet, provided that those users followed up, in continual search for a solution. Some does, many doesn't after a while, in those cases, I can only assume a resolution was found elsewhere, or the OP gave up.

There's also another free software that records your screen, that may help (Jing). I have it installed, but haven't figured it out yet.

Cat

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I have for long thought that Microsoft could do themselves a favour by making some of the so-called hidden tools unhidden.
It is surprising what you can find if you try a few of the .exes that are sitting in Windows /System32

For example, I found credwiz.exe,which will backup and restore both usernames and passwords in an encrypted form.
Also, try PrintBrmUi.exe . With this you import and export your printer queue.
Thanks Dave,

I would suggest creating a thread where all these hidden .exes (unknown to most of us) are listed with what threy actually do.

Just a thought

Keep up the good work !
Cheers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good tip, Super Sarge!

PSR is really handy, but I'm not sure if it's something that could be built-in to the forum software...however if there is a compex problem that can't be described in a thread, the zip files from PSR can easily be uploaded as attachments (or to a free file host) for sharing :).

I'll have a tinker to see if the mht files can be parsed and formatted easily with some coding - however it may take a little longer than normal, as I'm getting married in a few weeks and I'm spending increasing amounts of time organising things for the big day.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Good tip, Super Sarge!

PSR is really handy, but I'm not sure if it's something that could be built-in to the forum software...however if there is a compex problem that can't be described in a thread, the zip files from PSR can easily be uploaded as attachments (or to a free file host) for sharing :).

I'll have a tinker to see if the mht files can be parsed and formatted easily with some coding - however it may take a little longer than normal, as I'm getting married in a few weeks and I'm spending increasing amounts of time organising things for the big day.

Congrats Ian

:top:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"as I'm getting married in a few weeks "

Ah well, we all have to fall some time. But congrats, Ian.
I,m a stage ahead of you and I wear a Tshirt with a motive. It really echos my feelings Quote:
If I had known grandchildren could be such a joy, I would have had them first -(LOL)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys :D

When/where's the stag?? (HIC!!)
I've got no idea yet as the best man is keeping it all a secret! All I know is the date (end of this month), plus various comments from some of the other guys no doubt designed to put me off the scent! eek!

If I had known grandchildren could be such a joy, I would have had them first -(LOL)
Haha :lol:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Best of luck Ian.

(You'll need it) :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Good Luck, Ian!:)

I hope that your marriage is a happy one, and lasts for many, many years.

Cat

Ask a Question