64 bit and 32 bit XP Mode

Reaction score
If I run 64-bit Windows 7, can I install 32-bit XP Mode and install my aging printer (no 64-bit drivers available for it) to that, and print to it from normal 64-bit Windows?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Out of interest, which printer model is this?

I've not used XPM fully yet myself, but from what I understand you can just use the 32-bit version of XP and install the 32 bit drivers for it. However, I don't know if you could print easily from within Windows 7... but you can probably set up printer sharing and do it that way - I've not tried this myself yet, but I don't see why you can't.

You should be able to download it later on today from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

It has been leaked already though if you want to download it elsewhere.

Reaction score
Its a Canon i560 - and I've searched high and low for any working 64-bit drivers - the printer is shared from another PC on the network and this isn't helped by not being able to see the other PC from within XP mode, despite setting the workgroup correctly.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the addon driver module work, or give provide the 64-bit drivers for Vista, as it specifically mentions 64-bit on the download details:

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0025531.asp?model=

You've probably tried these already, but thought I'd post it just in case. I've been able to get 32 bit drivers working for some items in 64 bit mode if I install them manually - did you have any sucess doing that?

Reaction score
Thanks for your input on this. I haven't tried manual installation of 32 bit drivers so I will give that a go and report back.

Reaction score
I think it can't be possible to run 32Bit Drivers on 64Bit system in spite of installing 32Bit XP Mode. Waiting for the response @sanguine

Ask a Question