3D Monitors

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone here had experience with 3D monitors? I've just seen on Engadget that JVC are launching a 46" 3D HDTV for around $7,000.

I'm really excited for when true 3D content really takes off :)

I started a PhD on autostereoscopic monitors just a couple of years ago, which is a type of 3D display that doesn't need any glasses to view 3D images (but has some drawbacks compared to polarised displays, like the JVC one above).

Most nVidia graphics cards are capable of displaying many existing 3D games on a 3D monitor/TV without much extra configuration. So you could be playing Flight Sim, Team Fortress or other 3D games quite easily in true 3D :D

Admitedly, it's more novel than useful for many games - but flight sim is amazing in 3D. I'd love to have a setup like this in my living room!

Reaction score
Hi there
I went to a Pre Prod Demo of 3D TV recently -- This is really GREAT -- It's almost as good as Virtual Reality.

At the demo I was watching a Football ("Soccer" for US readers) match amongst other things on a HUGE LCD screen -- Cinema sized and you could position yourself right behind the Goalkeeper when a Penalty was being taken. Outstanding stuff.

For TV's this is one thing but for computers that's a whole different issue.

The Graphics cards need very very FAST intensive processing - even your top of the line QUAD CPU wouldn't be able to supply enough data to the graphics card fast enough to keep up with its demands so your screen would probably be "pixel painting" a few pixels at a time.

Apart from the cost of a 3D monitor we really need a "Step Function" in computing power.

Consumer grade 3D TV's will be here in the not too distant future -- even in these times there's still plenty of people around who could pay 7-8,000 USD for this stuff.

However MOBO design, Graphic cards and really good 3D games will take a while yet I'm afraid.

A possible solution will be to offload the ENTIRE Video subsystem -- also need a re-design in the OS of course .

But : Please don't expect to see these in the stores by XMAS.

Cheers
jimbo

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That sounds like a fantastic demo! Was it using a stereo projector setup and the viewers used polarising glasses? I've seen a smaller setup which showed some interesting aircraft spatial awareness demo, but never something on that scale before.

Also, was that in the UK out of interest (as you mentioned football - NUFC fan here ;))?

I'm hugely interested in consumer 3D technologies and can't wait for 3DTV to become a reality. It can't be too far off now and some companies are already recording big events in stereo for the eventual transition to 3DTV.

Ask a Question