SOLVED 127 GB Limit

Reaction score
I just had a friend put together a new system for me with a 1TB hard drive. In windows, the drive is only showing a max of 127 GB. I have seen issues with the older OS but i havent found a solution for win 7.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which motherboard do you have and is the drive connected to the onboard headers?

I'm guessing the drive is NTFS formatted and partitioned properly? Can you type "computer management" in to the start menu and run that, then go to Storage > Disk Management and see how it lists the partitions on that drive? Does it show the partition size?

Reaction score
this is what i have:

EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i, 45nm Support, Socket 775, ATX, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS Hard Drive - 1TB, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

Reaction score
I checked out the computer management, 127 GB NTFS for the C drive. Then next to it, it says 803.52 GB unallocated. That seems to be my issues, but i dont know what that means.

Reaction score
Hi arodriguez

The unallocated space simply means it is not being used.

Option 1, In computer management, If you right click on C drive. Do you have the options to expand volume or shrink volume? If you have the option to expand volume, try this to see if you can increase the size of C drive.

Option 2, Create a new partition(also known as a simple volume). Right click the unallocated space and create a new volume. Once a new partition has been created make sure you have formated the new partition. Windows defaults will be just fine for formating the partition.

Reaction score
You guys are awesome. Thanks. all i had to do was right click and extend volume. worked liked a charm.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad that's working for you now :) I'll mark this thread as solved.

Ask a Question