XP 32-Bit to W7 64-Bit

Reaction score
Hey, I don't have access to a USB that's 4GB or more (can't try the install from USB method) and I tried burning the ISO image to my DVD and booting it on windows start-up, but I get the: "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

I downloaded an MD5 Checker program and checked my Checksum, which was:
7B7AF5FE3A01E9FD76DE4DACB45A796B *X15-65805.iso

I ran a verification and it came out positive; I also searched google and found matching checksums. What is the problem here?

I've been struggling with this for hours now and it's very frustrating. I purchased the Windows 7 Pro copy online through a Microsoft endorsed candidate (Digital River) for my student discounted edition. I did spend the extra thirteen dollars for an official disc copy which should hopefully arrive sometime this week--so, I hope that is an option and doesn't give me the same error...Which, apparently, if the DVD iso is perfect, there is every reason it will give me the same error...

Help would be appreciated, thank you.

(last thread I looked at was this one before I gave up: https://www.w7forums.com/checksum-error-attempting-boot-dvd-t211.html)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Sounds like the burn itself might be bad. Did you burn at the slowest speed and on quality media?

Reaction score
No, I did not burn it on the slowest speed. By quality media are you referring to the DVDs or the program? I used PowerISO to burn and bought "memorex" DVDs. I'll try using the slower speed...but, in the other threads and posts that I read--an incorrect MD5 is caused by burning too fast. So, even if the MD5 is correct, there is a chance that burning too fast ruined it? Hmm. I'll try it.

[EDIT]
Hey, I tried burning the iso at the slowest speed and it still gave me the checksum error. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
ALWAYS burn ISO image files at 4x, no faster.

Try using ImgBurn, it's free and will verify the burn against the ISO file too.

PowerISO has a similar verify feature too.

What draceena meant is a "quality" DVD media will usually give much better results when burning.

Taiyo Yuden (Now JVC media) and Verbatim are probably the two best media out there for consumers.

Reaction score
ALWAYS burn ISO image files at 4x, no faster.

Try using ImgBurn, it's free and will verify the burn against the ISO file too.

PowerISO has a similar verify feature too.

What draceena meant is a "quality" DVD media will usually give much better results when burning.

Taiyo Yuden (Now JVC media) and Verbatim are probably the two best media out there for consumers.
However, I did spend $13 on a physical disc to be mailed to my house. I believe I will wait until the disc arrives and try that before I go out and waste more money on higher-quality DVDs. Also, the slowest speed that PowerISO would burn at was 2x and I did that--but oh well.

I can't really believe that burning DVDs and such is this troublesome. I have many friends that burn movies, games, etc... very easily and successfully with little hassle.

If my ordered copy does not work, what are my options? I suppose the two left (as far as I know) are: 1) Grab very high quality burnable-DVDs and re-download W7 and attempt a burn that way - and 2) Buy a 4gb USB and make it act as a "DVD" and install W7 from that.

If all else fails...take it into a computer store as there is a good chance then that my optical drive is failing and perhaps the comp techs could install it for me.

Eh?

Reaction score
I've never burned anything slower than 32x in my life, and never had a problem. It sounds like the ISO got corrupted during downloading.

The whole "only burn ISOs at 4x" business is akin to pixie dust and unicorn farts, in that it really doesn't solve any actual problems if all your equipment and materials are in good working condition. Drives are rated to burn at a certain maximum speed for a reason, and these speeds are independently certified for data integrity and safety.

Reaction score
I've never burned anything slower than 32x in my life, and never had a problem. It sounds like the ISO got corrupted during downloading.

The whole "only burn ISOs at 4x" business is akin to pixie dust and unicorn farts, in that it really doesn't solve any actual problems if all your equipment and materials are in good working condition. Drives are rated to burn at a certain maximum speed for a reason, and these speeds are independently certified for data integrity and safety.
If the ISO was corrupt, wouldn't my MD5 be incorrect?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, although it is somewhat disingenuous.

The reason to burn an operating system install ISO image at 4x is to avoid any possibility of burn error due to disc jitter and wobble, that's all. So what if its a few more minutes to burn? Go have another cigarette!

I burn movies, data and other such items at anywhere from 16x to 22x all the time, depends on the disc brand I'm using, with no issues.

Reaction score
I feel as if the hardware Manufacturer's usually push their drives rating above what it really needs to be. I find that if you drop the burn process down one notch, this usually fixes burn errors. However this still supports Thrax's post. If you find you are needing to burn at 4X to get a good copy then your equipment and or materials are not in good working condition.

Reaction score
Any chance that anyone who has experience with Digital River could tell me how long it actually takes them to process AND ship their orders? My order was paid for on January 15th (confirmed, paid, etc...). It's the 22nd now and I have yet to receive a confirmation e-mail that my order was shipped out. Also, my Order Status still shows the order as being processed.

This is just...annoying. I should have just bought Windows 7 from NewEgg for $109 and had it delivered the same day my computer parts were (2 days ago--I ordered my computer parts a day after I ordered Windows 7...).

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Any chance that anyone who has experience with Digital River could tell me how long it actually takes them to process AND ship their orders? My order was paid for on January 15th (confirmed, paid, etc...). It's the 22nd now and I have yet to receive a confirmation e-mail that my order was shipped out. Also, my Order Status still shows the order as being processed.

This is just...annoying. I should have just bought Windows 7 from NewEgg for $109 and had it delivered the same day my computer parts were (2 days ago--I ordered my computer parts a day after I ordered Windows 7...).
Won't they give you another link to download again? Did they give a time frame of when you will receive your order? Too, did you pay by credit card or PayPal? You may be entitled to a refund if you don't get your order. Also, by reporting it, it gets the lead out of their butts to do something. That's what I like about using PayPal for online purchases. You have a 45 day timeframe in which you can file a claim, and if the seller doesn't respond within 7 days, you're refunded by default, no further questions asked.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hey, I don't have access to a USB that's 4GB or more (can't try the install from USB method) and I tried burning the ISO image to my DVD and booting it on windows start-up, but I get the: "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

I downloaded an MD5 Checker program and checked my Checksum, which was:
7B7AF5FE3A01E9FD76DE4DACB45A796B *X15-65805.iso

I ran a verification and it came out positive; I also searched google and found matching checksums. What is the problem here?

I've been struggling with this for hours now and it's very frustrating. I purchased the Windows 7 Pro copy online through a Microsoft endorsed candidate (Digital River) for my student discounted edition. I did spend the extra thirteen dollars for an official disc copy which should hopefully arrive sometime this week--so, I hope that is an option and doesn't give me the same error...Which, apparently, if the DVD iso is perfect, there is every reason it will give me the same error...

Help would be appreciated, thank you.

(last thread I looked at was this one before I gave up: https://www.w7forums.com/checksum-error-attempting-boot-dvd-t211.html)
All you have to do is do a Bing search on X15-65805.iso, it's the second site on the list. I clicked on to it, and it asked me did I want to open with Power2Go or save it. Out of being curious, I selected to save it, a 3.0GB file began downloading. After 2MB, I stopped. Try that. Don't use Google, use Bing to search with. Remember, it's the second site that shows. It was about a 2 and a half hour download for me.

Reaction score
Umm, I do have access to re-download my file. Everything that has been recommended has failed to work; the only thing I have NOT tried is the boot-from-USB trick. I spent $20 on burnable DVDs...I don't feel like spending more money on a 4GB USB--especially, if I supposedly have a Windows 7 disc coming in the male.

If I have to buy a 4gb USB, my total cost will pretty much equal that of getting Windows 7 from newegg, $109. My Windows 7 Pro (student discount) with the $13 disc came out to $77...so, plus $20 is $97...and how much is a 4gb USB?

The file name I have been consistently downloading is X15-65805, btw.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That's pretty fast for a dvd burn. What media did you use? :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sounds to me like there's either a corrupted download, or defective DVD player or burning software. I've had no problems with these downloads. The source is clean. Just get on the phone and find out where your disc is. But should you have a DVD ROM in need of replacement or repair, you'll wind up the same way.

Reaction score
Sounds to me like there's either a corrupted download, or defective DVD player or burning software. I've had no problems with these downloads. The source is clean. Just get on the phone and find out where your disc is. But should you have a DVD ROM in need of replacement or repair, you'll wind up the same way.
Yet, the boot-from-USB would be a work around for that, right?

I appreciate looking up Newegg offers for USBs for me--but as I said, I was hoping to avoid making my total expenses equal to what I would have paid at Newegg for Microsoft 7. A $10 USB would make it like $107 plus shipping...ugh. I might have to, though. It seems the official disc was shipped out today. I guess within the next 2 weeks I will know what I need to do.

Ask a Question