Install Windows 7 Professional as 32 bit on 64 bit machine using 64 bit installation CD

Reaction score
I want to install Windows 7 as 32 bit OS.
My laptop is 64 bit Dell Inspiron.
The installation CD says 64-bit software Windows 7 Professional.
This is necessary as one of my application runs only in 32 bit environment.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In many countries the 64-bit & 32-bit OS were on separate disks. If your Win 7 disk does not have the 32-bit OS then you cannot use it to do what you want.

Also it is a good idea to look up all your hardware and make sure 32-bit drivers are available. Then put those drivers (expanded if they come zipped) on a DVD or flash drive so they are available to you during installation if needed. The most critical being ones for your motherboard & Ethernet or Wi-Fi, so you can get up and running & be able to access the web to get any you missed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since it is the Pro edition you are likely better off to use the 64-bit OS & then simply install the Windows XP virtual environment which is 32-bit and run your app from there.

Reaction score
Since it is the Pro edition you are likely better off to use the 64-bit OS & then simply install the Windows XP virtual environment which is 32-bit and run your app from there.
1. Is Windows XP-virtual a standard utility by Microsoft or is it a 3rd party utility?
2. If a software is developed on XP-virtual (packaged in Visual Studio), will it package DLLs suitable for XP?
3. Does Microsoft support this and provide updates for these DLLs?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
1. Microsoft
2. No idea, you may have to research it.
3. Since XP is no longer supported at all I wouldn't expect updates specific to XP

Ask a Question