SOLVED WMP 12 help needed

Reaction score
I think I've discovered a possible bug in Windows Media Player 12. I've got Billy Idol's Greatest Hit's on my pc in the Music folder. WMP 12 was used for getting all my cd's on my pc. All the cd tracks show up in the Music folder. WMP 12 only shows tracks 7 - 16. 1 - 6 aren't listed in WMP 12. Here's 2 screenshot's to show the bug found.

Attachments

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Are they manually added to your library? Sometimes automatically searching for them won't work.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, try adding them manually to the library. As Ace stated, the auto search function sometimes doesn't work too good.

If you want to try a much better audio media player, I highly recommend AIMP2. It's written by a Russian developer and it is free!

From the website:
AIMP Classic is a powerful audio player that allows you to listen to your favorite music with an outstanding sound quality. Its appearance resembles that of another classical audio player (Winamp), so you'll get used to it very quickly. It can also be customized with skins.

The program includes a 18-band equalizer, a visualization window to display rhythmic visual effects and a playlist editor to organize your audio files. A nice fading effect makes your list of songs look like an endless music loop and a handy volume normalizing feature avoids drastic volume changes between tracks. Also, the player's main functions can be conveniently controlled by global hotkeys.

Besides playing music, AIMP Classic features three extra utilities which also enable you to record any sound on your computer, convert audio files from one format to another and view or edit tags.

AIMP Classic is based on the well-known audio engine BASS, so it's easy to connect new plug-ins (from the plug-in library included in the program) and expand the player's functionalities.

• Nice interface design with support for skins
  • 18-band equalizer
  • Support for online radio
  • Full featured tag editor
  • Support for all popular audio formats
Final version of AIMP2: 2.61 Build 583 (10.11.2010)

Reaction score
Originally I ripped it in WMP. When I noticed how it was in WMP 12 and my music, I copied it to a flash drive from the music folder and deleted the folder from the music folder. I then opened WMP 12 to let it update/remove it there. I then copied the album from the flash drive back to the music folder and removed the flash drive. I then opened WMP 12 again and let it add it again. It was as the screenshots show again. I then opened the music folder and right clicked on the folder and selected to let WMP play it. It played all 16 songs, but only lists tracks 7 - 16 in WMP 12. Just to make sure it wasn't a hard drive issue, I ran checkdisk the other night on the e: drive where my media files are and no error's were found. As was no malware with NIS 2012, Malwarebytes free and SUPERAntiSpyware free, not even in safe mode. I also ran checkdisk on my vertex 3 and no error's were found there either. Just like MS need's to get off it's butt and fix the Health Report not recognizing NIS 2012, even though Action Center does. That last issue existed in Vista, too.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
WMP does some really screwy stuff like trying to add album art even when I have that disabled. WMP appears to maintain a list of file information separate from the actual tag files so that even if you change them it often doesn't update it's information and there does not seem to be an easy way to force it to reload this info. My guess is this latter situation may have effected you, if you played the first 6 songs to test it then their location etc was "in WMPs memory" and so once you moved them they "got lost."

Another possibility is that the tag info is not filled out (or wasn't filled out at the time they were loaded into memory) for those 6 so it doesn't know the Author.

Just force WMP to play the files and then right-click and in properties check the content to see if it has the Author/Title

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah. That's got to be it knowing my luck. I've got one last resort, I think I'm going to try. I'll let Ccleaner clean all the caches. Hopefully that'll fix it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you bring up the menu there is ... Tools ... Apply Media Information Changes
I believe this is supposed to pick up the changes; worth a shot anyway. I started it and it looks like it will take about 10 minutes for my collection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just fixed it after running Ccleaner, I noticed WMP had the wrong location set for storing my music. Windows set itself to store my music in the Public Music folder, instead of my user account's Music folder. I corrected Windows' screwup and all 16 songs show up in WMP now.

Ask a Question