SOLVED WMP needs codec

Reaction score
WMP is not able to playback most streaming videos recorded from the internet. I am running a 64 bit machine. I know that you need to get an additional codec pack from the internet but all I have tried so far have been traps full of malware and unwanted applications. Is there any serious and reliable source of codecs out there?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
K-Lite is a good codec and is what I use, an alternative is CCCP codec. But only install one codec pack or the other, not both.

VLC is an alternative software which you can use instead of WMP. Personally I like WMP for my music and VLC for videos. It is nice to have choices.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I gave up playing the CODEC game and just used VLC Media Player. HERE is their website to download it, if you want to try it.

Reaction score
I can see now that it is almost futile to try and download a safe codec pack in order to get Windows Media Player to play back .flv videos downloaded from the internet.
I have downloaded a VLC Media Player and am really quite happy with it.
Thank you for your tips and suggestions and keep them coming if you will.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As I mentioned I love VLC and it is my default player for FLV but with K-Lite installed I also have absolutely no problem playing them in WMP.

Since you are happy I will mark this thread solved.

Reaction score
VLC's quality is the worst I've seen in any player PotPlayer beats it by a big margin especially when combined with the LAV filters if you have an nVIDIA GPU

Ask a Question