Windows 7 Ultimate 10,000th refusal to boot up

Reaction score
Reaction score
Mate,

If that fails, I know SpinRite can rescue just about any disk (NOT SSD's) but it will cost you $89. https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Honestly, it has saved my a$$ many times.
I wish the laptop manufacturers would suggest such a think instead of keeping your hard-drive with all your work on it and installing a new windows blank when it goes into repair.

Darn. They keep doing that. What do they do with everyones old hard-drives?

Browse for free stuff to flog on?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately most users don't do this but they should ... you should have an external drive which you plug in periodically (once every week or so for the average user, more if you store lots of documents/spreadsheets, etc every day) and take a back-up.

This way if your hard drive has to be replaced you can simply restore.

To back-up the system Windows 7 comes with a back-up utility but there are some I consider better in our Freeware DB and if you buy a back-up drive they usually come with a version of back-up software. In the USA this external hard drive back-up unit can be gotten for around US$90.

Quite honestly I would have completely reinstalled W7 after 25 boot up problems. And if this happened within the first 30 days of buying a new computer then that computer would have been returned for refund, not repair.

Shintaro

Reaction score
That is very excellent advice about the external backup TrainableMan.
With SSD's I would think that a external SSD back up would be pretty rock solid.
Especially relevant for older laptop users(like me!), who are still forced to use spinning hard drives for their main drive in the laptop.

Have you got that as a tip for new users?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It would be my tip to all new users but I can tell you it rarely happens and by the time we see them here looking for help it is often too late.

Reaction score
It would be my tip to all new users but I can tell you it rarely happens and by the time we see them here looking for help it is often too late.
My back-up attempt always appear to be over 75 gigabytes. Its too much to do or to keep doing.:eek: Its a mass of stuff I have shared between 3 computers. 10 years of files. Some stuff is copied and some stuff is lost.

The Tosh vista laptop I am using has two hard drives. One for back-ups (I think); and I have never had any real problems with this one.

The Windows 7 laptop only failed the first time after a couple of months and then repeatedlly froze dozens of times. I did call Toshiba (Japan) helpline; but it takes a week to get anyone English speaking to call you back. By which time the Computer began working normally; sometimes.

But it kept going wrong. I thought it might be the heat (its around 30 degrees here and can be 60-75% humidity in the building I write/type in).

Anyway I ran the STARTUP REPAIR Disk repair for 24 hours and nuthin. I then took it out and put the hard drive an a USB3 removable hard drive and did a SCAN-DISC from this Vista laptop.

The program said there were no errors after an hour of scanning it. I have a screenshot of the record jpg.

I put the hard drive back into the Win 7 laptop and again its black screen and trash.

Still waiting to see if the repair box will come up again.

Computers suck the life out of my will to live sometimes. No surprise Microsoft had its first year posting a loss for the company this year.

ALSO;
the repair software you all mention (here and elsewhere). I can never find out the simple information on wether I can install it on my x32 Vista laptop and plug the hard-drive of the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 into the external USB drive and run the repair program that way.

Does anyone know? Or does a 32-bit program not function on a 64 bit drive with a different operating system? :) ?

ALSO;
I do have a spare hard-drive with Win vista on it; and it did start up perfectly in the Win 7 laptop. I made it 6-months back when the hard-drive got replaced again. The laptop is not at fault. The only thing is with the Vista 32 bit program running in the 3D laptop it will not let me connect to the internet. Pressing the connect to the internet button causes the Music program to start instead.

The hard-drive is only 60-Gig which is why I can't use it for back-ups (which are over 75-gig). I have a lot of Blu-ray film family vids; pics/work docs/ tons of stuff.

Anyway; back to slashing my... dinnertime.

Last edited:

Ask a Question