Windows 7 explorer address bar - recent files

Reaction score
In Vista, when you clicked the down arrow at the address bar, you would get a list of all the recent files and folders you visited, even urls from IE. In fact, it worked much the same as IE's adress bar, showing recent urls.

This feature seems to have gone away in windows 7. At least on my machine. Is there any way to turn this feature on? (I have seen lots of threads of people wanting to turn it off in Vista) I have Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
Thank you.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
They are still there. Microsoft has seen fit to move them without telling us.
If you look to the left of the address bar, there is a tiny blue arrow. They sit there.
Hope that is what you mean?

Reaction score
Well, thats not quite the same. When you click that, it does give you a list of folders that you have been to lately, but not actual files that you recently worked on, which is what I want,and what Vista had in the address bar area.

Is that true on your end as well?

An example of how that is helpful is say I want to attach a file in outlook. I click on insert file and explorer comes up so that you may browse to the file location. In vista, it was nice cuz you could just click the drop down and see a recently worked on file in the address bar and attach it in one click instead of browsing through several files to get there.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry. I may have misunderstood. Are you referring to IE or Windows Explorer?

In Windows Explorer, in my navigation window, I have a folder called "Recent Places" This shows all files. etc that I have visited over the period.?

Reaction score
Refering to Windows Explorer. Yes, I have that folder too. On mine....when I click on it, it shows recent FOLDERS that I vistited, but not actual files. Does yours show FILES and FOLDERS?? Of course I can click on the folders to see files inside, but I want a direct link to recent files.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No. I regret that I do not know of a way to show those in Windoes explorer.

Reaction score
Does anyone know? What do you all see when you click the arrow at the right end of the address bar? I see a drop down list that displays a few "library folders" that I created.

In Vista, I would see a 10-12 recently opened FILES with their links.
(Much like recent URLS in IE)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
When you open the program, select File (or whatever the main menu is) as if you were about to click "Open" and it will give a list of recently opened files with that specific program. Right-clicking an open program in the taskbar will also sometimes do the same function via jumplists.

I'm not sure how to enable it inside the Explorer window, but you can enable it on your StartMenu. Right-click the start button, properties, Start Menu -> Customize. Scroll down until you find "Recent Items" and enable that. It will display only files, not folders.

Reaction score
Thanks, but I am already aware of that - like you said, it doesn't enable it in explorer. It comes in very handy in explorer - for example if I want to attach a recently worked on file in an email, when the email program opens up explorer to browse for a file, I used to be able to find that file in the drop down history in Vista and attach it with one click, rather than navigating through folders.
I can't believe MS didn't at least give us the option to have that feature.

I'm convinced its gone....but if anyone knows otherwise - please let me know.

Reaction score
Since this is an almost 2 year old thread I hope you have had this issue figured out, but in case not:

Click Start, hover over your Recent Items menu and Right-click - Copy
Open an Explorer window, in the left side menu you should have Favorites on top with Recent Places as one of them
Click on Favorites to display the "content" on the right side, right click under the last item and Paste Shortcut - Voila!
This will then be available in all Explorer windows, also in the Attachment Explorer window in Outlook.

Hope it helps!

Best regards
Endre Leine

Ask a Question