Windows 7 64 bit

Reaction score
I am planning to remake my pc. I am going to buy a Windows 7 licence. I whould like to know if the windows 7 core is 32 and 64 bit (choosing on installation phase) or we must buy the correct version? Are the drivers writted both for the 32 and the 64 bit version? Must we looking for components that have both version drivers or windows 7 drivers include both (32-64) versions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello jeyjey - Welcome to w7forums

Windows 7 Retail comes with two DVD's. The 32-Bit and 64-Bit.
Windows 7 OEM comes 32-Bit or 64Bit. When selecting an OEM please make sure you are getting the Bit version you want.

You will have the option to upgrade or do a custom install(clean install) when the installation process starts.

Here is an article on the differences in the two versions - https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, if you buy Windows 7 it will come with both bit versions - you just choose which DVD you want to install :)

I'm not sure if I understand the 2nd part to your question, but if you install the 64 bit version then you will need 64 bit drivers. Some old hardware only comes with 32 bit drivers which won't work in 64 bit mode.

Reaction score
windows 7

Thanks. I will look only for hardware that has 64-bits drivers only. I will take your forum as referencer. Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks. I will look only for hardware that has 64-bits drivers only. I will take your forum as referencer. Thanks.
OK, now I understand :)

The drivers are written as only 32 bit or 64 bit, but you can get both types of driver for any new hardware.

Reaction score
is there some sort of list that shows what programs have both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers? or how does one find out what programs i have on my XP machine will be able to run on win 7? thanks

Reaction score
one moment

OK, now I understand :)

The drivers are written as only 32 bit or 64 bit, but you can get both types of driver for any new hardware.
My experiences say that if an OS is written in 64 bit no drivers can be played if they are in 32 bit. So if I install the 64 bit version all the drivers of the hardware must be in 64 bit mode .... isn't it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
is there some sort of list that shows what programs have both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers? or how does one find out what programs i have on my XP machine will be able to run on win 7? thanks
It's not applications or programs that need drivers, but the hardware inside your PC. If you have a Windows XP system, it is possible that your hardware isn't 64 bit capable. You can run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to find out if this is the case:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

My experiences say that if an OS is written in 64 bit no drivers can be played if they are in 32 bit. So if I install the 64 bit version all the drivers of the hardware must be in 64 bit mode .... isn't it?
Yes, that is correct. If you install Windows 7 x64 then you need to have hardware that has 64 bit drivers available for it. In newer hardware this won't be a problem.

Reaction score
THANKS

it's not applications or programs that need drivers, but the hardware inside your pc. If you have a windows xp system, it is possible that your hardware isn't 64 bit capable. You can run the windows 7 upgrade advisor to find out if this is the case:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

yes, that is correct. If you install windows 7 x64 then you need to have hardware that has 64 bit drivers available for it. In newer hardware this won't be a problem.
ok ian very usefull, thanks

Reaction score
I want to know what is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit?
Thanks for response!

Reaction score
Its sad when people don't know enough to search the forum. This I can understand. But when they don't read the top of the very same page that answers their question before they ask. This I will never understand.

After awhile you tend to bite your tongue to keep from calling them lazy. This 32-Bit and 64-Bit question is gonna drive me crazy.

Ian is there a way you can advertise the difference or post links to the article in the header. This seems to be the most common question and will be for a long time.

Reaction score
Its sad when people don't know enough to search the forum. This I can understand. But when they don't read the top of the very same page that answers their question before they ask. This I will never understand.

After awhile you tend to bite your tongue to keep from calling them lazy. This 32-Bit and 64-Bit question is gonna drive me crazy.

Ian is there a way you can advertise the difference or post links to the article in the header. This seems to be the most common question and will be for a long time.

I feel so sorry to made u so bad mood!I will search the forum title before I ask the questions next time!Thanks for your response again!

Ask a Question