Win7 or Win XP

Reaction score
I like the stability of Win 7. while Xp lacks some good qualities. No need of Drivers for Win 7.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That is a fine quality with Windows 7, if you take a computer with 7 pre-installed, you can save the recovery partition and see for yourself. You can load a new copy of Windows 7 (with no "crapware" installed), and it will look and perform better than the one that came with the computer new. Why? Because the OEM's (HP, Dell, etc.) takes Windows 7, repackage it the way they want, and screws up an otherwise fine OS. Windows 7 doesn't need the OEM's to install drivers, it does a fantastic job of finding the drivers for your system by itself.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I like the stability of Win 7. while Xp lacks some good qualities. No need of Drivers for Win 7.
NOT NECESSARILY SO! Since I use Intel I always install Intel's chipset driver and storage driver. Same for my ATI Radeon card, Realtek sound chipset, etc.

Believe me when I tell you that using MS generic drivers are usually alright, but I have been able to tweak the performance of my Windows 7 with the latest Intel chispset "Info" drivers and rapid storage driver. Also using Intel's chipset USB driver helped too.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I can't disagree with you on that, but I can say that 7 does a better job of installing drivers than the OEM's do. Of course the part maker (like Intel) is going to have the latest and best drivers. But Windows 7 does a superior job vs XP on drivers. This is the topic, and this I know. Even Vista SP2 (which I installed on my laptop last night), does a better job than XP at finding drivers.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
XP did in it's early days do a fairly decent job of installing very limited, generic drivers. It was a big step up from Windows 98 or 95 in that regard. After the service packs it even got better.

I know because I was chosen by MS to be a BETA tester for Windows XP and at the time in spring of 2001 I was amazed at all the drivers it did load.

Still never did the job that Windows 7 does today. Also, in MS updates the drivers shown are usually several weeks to a few months out of date compared to getting drivers from the actual hardware/chip maker's website.

One of the "cardinal rules" of installing drivers is to always do the chipset drivers first and then the video, LAN or wireless, sound, etc.

Reaction score
as for me it is also Win7. it is what I really needed and it is way better than Vista too.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Let's see. There is XP designed primarily as a stand-alone more than 10 years ago to support legacy hardware and software from the DOS era when the Internet was virtually non-existent and there was no threat from badguys except by viruses that were distributed by booting to an infected floppy disk.

Or there's Win7, designed to support today's state-of-the-art, networked hardware and sophisticated software, securely.

Ask a Question