Win7 or Win XP

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
For me It's W7. No contest.

I don't work in an office and my primary home computer is used for internet, email, light gaming and a media center.

I used XP from 2002 til 2009 and frankly got a little bored with it. I skipped Vista and love the feel and look of W7. It runs great on my moderate computer specs so that was a good reason to switch. Also, having taken part in the the beta and rc releases helped my transition as well as finding forums like this.

I still have XP on another computer (primarily a test box).

Reaction score
Windows 7, because:
  • It is, believe it or not, more realiable.
  • Has been known to be faster
  • Looks gorgeous compared to Xp
  • Better compatability for new programs
  • Better search functions
  • Better window managment (i.e. snap fit, peek
  • Best 64-bit compatability
There you have it. Really really, it is good. Really good.

Reaction score
Windows 7 for me

I took only a few days for Windows 7 to find a place in my life. From that time on XP was slowly becoming more and more obsolete. In my opinion XP should only be used on older hardware that will not take advantage of Windows Aero feature. For those having hardware that does not support Windows Aero and are thinking about upgrading to Windows 7. I would suggest getting new hardware as well.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No contest for me. The difference between XP Pro & Windows 7 is like comparing a Pinto to a Crown Vic. Which would you rather ride in?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Windows 7 is the way forward, XP is old tech ... who wants to live in the past !

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Windows 7 for me

I took only a few days for Windows 7 to find a place in my life. From that time on XP was slowly becoming more and more obsolete. In my opinion XP should only be used on older hardware that will not take advantage of Windows Aero feature. For those having hardware that does not support Windows Aero and are thinking about upgrading to Windows 7. I would suggest getting new hardware as well.
Regarding the hardware that c_c mentioned, he's 100% correct. Although Windows 7 will install on old, outdated, obsolete hardware, your screen won't look good, and the performance will not be the same as it would be on newer, modern hardware. Although you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to run Windows 7, in general, the computers that costs a little more look and perform better (more RAM, larger hard drive, better processor). But a budget model will do the job. That's what mine is, but I'm slowly adding upgrade hardware to mine.

Reaction score
I'm upgrading 'cos I want to, not because I need to. XP does everything I need/want, it's stable, still has support for a while yet.
I've had no need to buy any new programs for yrs but try the odd free download.

Win 7 is to me an expensive indulgence as all my current hardware/software is working reliably. I intend to go 7 but at my own pace as I get the stuff I need to run it to it's full potential.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's actually the best way to go, Mychael. You have been planning, doing whatever research that you need, and when you do the install, it will be on modern hardware, Sure, XP still has plenty of life in it, I was recently trying to help a man with printing on a laptop that he bought w/7 preinstalled. His whole house was running great off of XP, and I'm happy for him. He's getting the last dollar out of XP, that's for sure. But I was tired of it, as simple as that. I don't down anyone for what they run, as long as they're happy, I am. I'm happy with 7 myself.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Windows 7 all the way. No hardware or software changed on my computer between WinXP and Win7, yet 7 is faster, more organized, less issues, no blue screens, ect.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've never had the first blue screen on here, even when I was only running 2GB RAM. Windows 7 (especially 64 bit) is the way to go. XP? Still alive, but slowly fading away.

Reaction score
Win '98. now that was the place to go for blue screens lol.

Reaction score
Win 7 by far.
Xp was and still is a great OS, very reliable and still very useful.
Win 7 (im running Pro 64bit) is just as reliable, much easier on the eyes, and is very fast. Aero, Media center, to name only 2, are amazing in Win 7.
Xp was pretty much at the end of its life as far as it's ability to handle new apps.
A complete OS rewrite was in order, I won't comment on Vista, but Win 7 seems to be the perfect rewrite for an OS that's ready for today and the future.

Reaction score
Had Vista Home Premium x64, after some minor adjustments had no problems.
Upgraded to Windows7 Home Premium x64, no problem with upgrade.
Windows7 is an excellent product.
As with all O.S. works best when the hardware is designed for the O.S.

Have a older H.P. system (strong dislike for H.P.), with WindowsXP Home Premium
x86 SP3. Removed the H.P. software, added some hardware and my own copy of WindowsXP.
Boots faster then the Windows7 unit.

Cannot compare to the beauty and capability of the Windows7 O.S..

Reaction score
Win 7

I am using Win 7 and it is a true leap from Win Xp. I would advise you to try it, you won’t regret it.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Was this a trick question by the OP? :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
@ tina.johnson: Why are you hotlinking ads for websites here?
monthly car rental tv wall mount bracket flat panel wall mount

@ thomas.coyle: Why are you hot linking ads for websites here?

san diego real estate san diego mls san diego condos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
@ tina.johnson: Why are you hotlinking ads for websites here?
@ thomas.coyle: Why are you hot linking ads for websites here?
Agreed, on both. We're not supposed to be doing these things around here. It's known as "spamming", and is usually against the rules in most forums, and it certainly is breaking the rules here.
Agreed - Links removed

Ask a Question