Why no sound on my Desktop, but sound on other Desktops?

Reaction score
Windows-7 Pro, 64-Bit
HP 8300 Desktop Tower
I have no sound using my Desktop.
I have the Speaker Volume at 100%.
I have Video Volume at 100%.

All of the other Desktops have sound.
I can adjust the Speaker Volume up and down with no trouble.
I can adjust the Video Volume up and down with no trouble.

I am at a loss, please help!

Reaction score
turn the volume down to 35. if it doesn't work, increasing the volume isn't going to do anything but blast you when it comes on
do you have the output going to another device ? hdmi(nvidia) instead of bluetooth; audio(realtek) instead of hdmi
this is a software setting under 'sound' in control panel
check your cables
do you have a headset / earbuds in the audio jack ? earbuds with shunt the output to your speakers
i am assuming you don't have an 'x' by your sound video game controller in control panel, or that you didn't disable it

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

My PC is very plain, just the speakers it came with, no external devices other than a printer, no headsets of any kind.

I did notice that if the Speaker in the lower left hand corner is set to 100% OR 0% there is no sound.

If I set it to 99% thru 1%, I have sound.

Why, it is a dilemma, however for the time being, I have sound.

Reaction score
mike, we don't have to understand everything in life (includes programming), as a matter of fact, even programmers don't

i'm sure you'll be facing many more challenging dilemmas before it's over. we just have to learn to live with them

you're welcome

Ask a Question