video card drivers can't be installed

Reaction score
I've bought HP Pavilion dv6-2160em and had to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium x64. After I reinstalled Windows, Aero was disabled, there's a recommendation to update drivers but there's no way to do that. I had tried to download drivers from HP's official site but that haven't worked. I even tried to play Civilization 4 but game crashed recommending me to update video card drivers.

So? How can I solve this problem...

PS: I've tried to download drivers from nVidia (card is GeForce GT 320M) but it returned back that hardware for those drivers can't be found. What to do?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just get back "nVidia setup could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your hardware". I get that back with these drivers, beta drivers, older drivers etc. It's really frustrating....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you load up device manager, go to the properties of your display adaptor > details > property > hardware IDs and then copy/paste the values that appear please?

Those values should let us confirm which graphics adaptor you have in your laptop, as it seems strange that the nVidia drivers don't pick up on it.

Reaction score
Here they are:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2D&SUBSYS_3659103C&REV_A2
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2D&SUBSYS_3659103C
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2D&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2D&CC_0300

BTW: I've requested HP recovery discs from my local HP support service. They should be here in a two weeks or one month max...

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Go to: http://www.drivermax.com/

Download their applet and run it, it should find the correct driver for your video adapter.

You can use it for free, but you're limited to two driver updates/downloads per day with the free option.

It won't hurt to try it.

Reaction score
Nope, according to that applet, all drivers are updated... Only Aero and games recognize this problem :((

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't find any reference to those ID values, so that could be why the NVIDIA software is having problems installing drivers.

If it's almost a fresh install, are you able to restore the HP laptop back to the factory config using the recovery partition (rather than than a default Windows 7 install)? This should come with the drivers installed already.

Reaction score
That's my plan B, because I'm still waiting for new recovery discs from HP and, as I've already said, they will be here in 2 weeks time. My version of Windows was damaged (so was the recovery partition). When I had restarted Windows for the first time they've crashed for good...

In the meantime, I tried to play games which came with Windows (solitaire, hearts, chess etc) and this is what I got:
hardware acceleration was ether disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance. Make sure you have the latest video card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
OH! By the way... Welcome to The Windows 7 Forum website! nemes1s

We have been remiss in that aspect.

Some more questions:
1. Are you in Europe or another country besides the USA?
2. How did you reinstall Windows 7?
3. What disc or method did you use?

Give us some more information, if you don't mind. When I did a search for your model of HP I kept getting European websites, etc.

Thanks... and Welcome Again!

Reaction score
Well, I'm from Europe, Croatia (not a member of EU, but next one to join).

First version, before installation was already installed when I bought my notebook. It had Aero. When I restarted them for the first time, they've crashed so I had to download iso image of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and burned it. I've installed that version with serial number which is written on my laptop (on that Windows sticker) and there was no problems later except this one.

As I already said, if this problem could not be solved (easily) I can wait for a few weeks until I get recovery discs. I can postpone my gaming needs for some time. At least MS Office is working so I can do my college assignments...

And yeah, they've finally created a page for downloading drivers for my laptop
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4126571

I've already installed those graphic drivers (still have all these problems). Intel Graphic Media driver can't be installed because "my computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing this software"

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
nemes1s:

You're English is excellent! Better than half the people here in the state of Texas!

I noticed the video driver listed on the HP page is a GeForce 230M ! You told us a 320M, which is correct?

In which order did you install the drivers? It is usually best to install the chipset drivers first. There is 3 of them for your laptop, then the video drivers.

Did you update your BIOS, sometimes that may help.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
This is the driver you need if indeed its a GeForce 230M video adapter:

Notebook Release 195

Version: 195.62 WHQL Release Date: 2009.12.04
Operating System:
Windows 7 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 144 MB

It supports the following video adapters for notebooks:

GeForce 200M series:
GT 230M, GT 240M, G210M, GTX 280M, GTX 260M, GT 220M

Click on the green DOWNLOAD button and it will take you to the nVidia download page for this driver.

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try that...

Thanks for compliments, in our educational system it's mandatory to learn at least one foreign language. We can choose between English, German or Italian (in coastal regions).

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Also, try installing the Intel Graphic Media driver AFTER you've installed the GeForce driver. Then it may work properly.

Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Nope, still not working. I'm going to wait for the recovery discs and reinstall Windows properly.

Thanks everyone for help :)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No offense intended here toward anyone, especially nemes1s!

This thread is one of the MAIN reasons I always build my own computer systems!

1. You can select and combine the best hardware to fit your budget.
2. You KNOW what you're getting in advance.
3. You have the ability to read the various hardware reviews on the web and talk to friends on the forums to find out what is good and what isn't.

Now I know some people feel unsure or uncomfortable with building their own systems. That is perfectly fine. Believe me though, it is one of the easiest things you can do, it's all plug 'n play. If you can use a phillips screwdriver and read a motherboard manual, then you've basically got it licked.

However, sometimes the prices that these pre-built systems sell for is a very good deal, no matter how you look at it. There will always be that market niche for sure.

I'm stepping off the proverbial soap box now!

Ask a Question