SOLVED USB installation not Genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey there, I have an Asus eeePC 1215N that came with windows 7 home installed. I installed 4gb RAM before summer, but not all the RAM was recognized. I have windows 7 ultimate on my desktop so I created a USB install of windows 7 ultimate and installed it fine on my netbook.

Everything was fine until recently when I kept getting a popup saying my windows is not genuine. I used the same cd key from my desktop to install, but I figured it would have stopped me if I wasn't allowed to reuse the key.

I have no clue what to do. Should I use the Get Genuine Online Kit for $200 (even though I have already paid for my copy)? Can I buy another copy for cheaper BUT will that key work? Is this a glitch and my key should work with the USB install?

I heard somewhere that if you use the USB install then it won't let you use the same key...

Please help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Except for corporate and multi-pack licensing, the basic deal is: one key = one active installation. And, no the enforcement of this is not instantaneous, it can take several months for Microsoft to detect and shutdown multiple uses of the same key (that is why buying "just a key" from anywhere but Microsoft's own site is extremely dangerous).

You can legally reinstall W7 home (You didn't specify Home Basic, Home Starter or Home Premium but it must be the one which your Asus is licensed for) and then if you really need a higher edition you can buy an Anytime Upgrade to Professional or Ultimate depending what extra features you need. This would be a legal progression and cheaper than $200 however it does require you to yet again reinstall. If you use Microsoft's Bitlocker or multiple languages then Ultimate is probably for you, otherwise if you need Group Policy Editor, Virtual PC - XP mode, Back-up to a network drive with windows back-up, or Domain Join then Professional is for you, if you don't need any of that then Home should be good enough. See comparison chart HERE.

If you decide to reinstall, use Windows Easy Transfer to backup your userids and data and then after the install you can easily use it to restore them. Then simply install your programs and you are back in business.

If you need the ISO for Home Premium you can find it HERE (be sure to get the bit-size you need: x86 for 32-bit, x64 for 64-bit). If your machine had Home Basic or Home Starter (only available in x86) you will have to download Home Premium and remove the ei.cfg file from the ISO so that it can be used as a multi-version, see HERE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I was able to resolve it. I did the activation through the phone option and it worked. I guess it was some kind of glitch, but I guess everything went better than expected.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You still aren't legal if you have two computers with the same license key and we do not condone illegal activity so I will have to close this thread. But when you want to get legal I have provided the most cost effective method for W7.

OR...
Windows 8 comes out Friday October 26th and is supposed to be cheaper than W7 especially if downloaded from Microsoft, so that might be a good way to get legal for less, though you will notice differences, such as the new metro interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question